New .35 Rem project... I'm conflicted

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
45guy

New .35 Rem project... I'm conflicted

Post by 45guy »

So I've found a Finnish Carcano CHEAP. It looks like the previous owner attempted to strip the metal with naval jelly or the like, but for my purposes it is perfect. It appears that I've also located a smith that will turn and fit a .35 Rem barrel. After losing my 7.62x39 Carcano, I'm thinking I may pull the trigger on this one! It's kind of hard trying to justify this one though. I really think if I do I should sell one of my oddball rifles to help fund the project.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
Hardrada55

Re: New .35 Rem project... I'm conflicted

Post by Hardrada55 »

Well, I think you should wait until your .35 Carcano is complete before you choose which of your oddball guns to sell. That way, you get to see how the project gun turns out and if it is really worth getting rid of a gun you might actually prefer to the new project. Just my 2 cents. Generally speaking, I think bolt action .35 Remington rifles are way cool. I'm a big fan of the ol' stubby cartridge.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I'm all for experimentation, but I think a conversion of this nature would cost far more than the price of the unmodified Carcano, and afterward, what do you really have? A Finnish Carcano in .35 Rem that would probably be very difficult to unload at any price, and would have zero collector interest. But it's your money.

If you want a Carcano just as a shooter, and reload, you can form reloadable 7.35 X 51 cases out of modern 6.5 M/S brass, and the .298-.300 dia. bullets required are available. The proper clips are essential to the operation of the Carcano and are somewhat difficult to find. I'm not sure, but I doubt military clips would even work with .35 Rem cases. In that case you will have a single-shot Finnish Carcano in .35 Rem.

If you want a bolt-action in .35 Rem, there are vastly superior actions to build it on.
81police

Post by 81police »

You could always go with a vintage Remington Model 600 in .35Rem (3 on gunbroker right now) or even a more vintage Model 30 Express in .35Rem? I know it takes away from the build aspect, but just an alternative idea.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Truth be told, I was looking at them last night. I also found a Remington Keene to lust after, as well as a lead on a Remington M1934. Unfortunately it is the build aspect that appeals to me on this one though.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."