Life is too short to go through it with out a pretty gun

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
imfuncity

Life is too short to go through it with out a pretty gun

Post by imfuncity »

imfuncity wrote:I'm a think'n my "experienced ones" are fine for me and the "eye candy" is fine for you other guys.
BUT, it's probably worth mentioning that I do subscribe to the concept "life is too short to go through it with out a pretty gun"!

The reality of that is I'd have to give up many "lesser ones" to get that ONE pretty gun. Then there is the which one would that be? Do I restore my original 1901 Win 1894? Or the 1900 Win 1885 (that now has a SS 219DW Douglas barrel)? Or my 1907 M8? Or do I go with a Turnbull Open Range...? Or a new...?

Plus, where do I show it off? Or even display it? (Liability and theft issues aside.) At my age, not too many folks beating a path to my door. And for some silly reason the family thinks there are other things to discuss then guns. (I've tried to point out the fallacy of their thinking but pretty soon I find that I and my guns are alone - at least they haven't reversed the lock on my door YET.)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
imfuncity

Re: Life is too short to go through it with out a pretty gun

Post by imfuncity »

So what’s your fanciest? And since they are rarely the same, what is your favorite-ist? (My apologies to any grammarians in the crowd.) Do I need to say pictures, Please?
I'll start off with a short gun.

As indicated, I do not yet have a fancy one but this is my old reliable. Literally found under the seat of a car: retired Official Police with the local police department’s number on the frame, Rampart Colt has a lot of thumb wear, and the muzzle is naked from the holster, other then that 99%. It is my most accurate, always goes bang regardless of the ammo (can’t say that about any of my Smith’s, that’s why they are going to the gun-doc), and it always goes to the range with me… when it is not still "on duty" close to my most valuable possession – my bride of 40yrs.
Colt 003 4x.jpg
Colt 003 4x.jpg (228.94 KiB) Viewed 13728 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Beauty must be in the eye of the beholder, because you just sent the prettiest gun I own.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed. :D
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Call me crazy all you want Mitch but I'm in love. It's rare that I don't feel compelled to get down to business with refinishing, but I LOVE this thing.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

What caliber is the Savage? Is it a takedown model?
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Just a good old solid frame .30WCF.
sting75ray

Post by sting75ray »

45guy wrote:Call me crazy all you want Mitch but I'm in love. It's rare that I don't feel compelled to get down to business with refinishing, but I LOVE this thing.

Nice looking Savage. Dad had an old 99 in 22 HP. I found the stock in one of his boxes after he passed away and it was split all to hell. Glued and clamped it all back together and the refinished the wood. Dropped it off yesterday for a bluing job. Can't wait to get it back and see how it turned out.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Imfuncity......Yep I`m with you with the family that thinks I talk about guns too much.Is there really anything else to talk about? Religion and politics are out cause that will just turn into an argument.So why not have a pleasant conversation about the historical aspects of all those great guns that grace my home? LIFE IS TOO SHORT to go through it without a pretty gun.These 99`s are some of my favorites. The one with the lighter toned stock is a 99R with a Bishop restock I did about 30 years ago.It is a 300 Sav cal with Weaver K3 and is the go to gun for me.It is the one that whether I`m tired,cold,hungover or whatever it puts the round right on target. Not for sale ever.As my President said "from my cold dead hands". The middle one is a 250-3000. This came from Paul Jaegars shop in Jenkingtown and has a B&L Balvar 8 in Loopy adjusto-mounts. The eyecandy that really performs.Dead accurate and yes I do hunt with it.Goes to the stand in fitted case and only comes out when shot is taken. The last one is a 99 Shortrifle in 303 Sav. This one was restocked by Doug Turnbull before I bought it. I added the Redfield peep but may put one of my last Alaskans and Stith mounts on it in the future.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2725.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG (46.19 KiB) Viewed 13364 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Classics, that Turnbull restoration is outstanding, the lines from butt through forearm are perfect and the checkering of wrist cheeks and forearm perfectly balanced, work of a master. The 1899s, way ahead of their field, when I look at todays black guns I have to wonder what has happened to our sense and appreciation of art and design. Jerry
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Here's my favorite. I shoot Sporting Clays and hunt with it alot ... it will never be for sale .... 12 bore Prussian made by H. A. Lindner 1890's * imported by Charles Daly.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Guys,

I don't know how I missed these postings. All of you have posted some real beauties and I am impressed. I will have to jump in and send some pictures also. Am I limited to just one? It is difficult to pick just one but I will try and go easy on imfuncity who will have to do the posting for me.

Regards,

jack1653
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Well, as we say down south that Linder 12 bore is" some purdee piece of shootin gun".I went through a few of mine to post some photos.This one would be the all around gun for anything that walks or flys.It is an Imman Meffert combo two barrel set built on a Merkel action. 16ga overunder and 270Win over 16 ga.The scope in claw mounts is a Nickel Supra 3X .I have a set of "fourtenner"inserts so it would be good to go for squirrels to deer.Hunted doves with it last season and was a joy to shoot.I even hit some! The cartridge case was my creation.
Jack, I`m looking forward to your post with photos. Show us your favorites. Joe
Attachments
IMG_2734.JPG
IMG_2734.JPG (61.81 KiB) Viewed 13165 times
IMG_2732.JPG
IMG_2732.JPG (46.46 KiB) Viewed 13166 times
IMG_2739.JPG
IMG_2739.JPG (57.15 KiB) Viewed 13164 times
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Sarg756, Another example of fine German sporting arms, a classic gallery of great art is building, Jack, am sure you can run with the big dogs here, can't wait to view your post, Jerry
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I'm waiting for your ONE Jack! :roll:
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

45Guy - OK you're crazy... did you get started on that 99 you are in love with? (and that I was pleased to get rid of!)

Sting75ray - you have revived a sleeper... so where are yours pictures? ;)

Sarge - Purdee indeed, all around. I'm on Turnbull's mailing list, am tempted monthly but... I still have not found THAT ONE to cash 'em in for. Speaking of Turnbull, how 'bout some close-ups of his 99?

SightHound - when I look at today's black guns I have to wonder what has happened to our sense and appreciation of art and design (and pride) - well said and can in fact be applied in a lot of different directions.

Rem - That is mighty fine looking, for a "shooter"!! Not sure I could do that.
imfuncity

For Sighhound

Post by imfuncity »

I'm embarrassed to say I had forgotten about these until this thread was revived.
On the back of the first picture Sighthound/Jerry has written:
7x57 Mauser, Redfield Mounts, Weaver K 2.5, Myrtle - Built during Lassen Gunsmith School 1948-50.
He may not now claim that this is his prettiest (or best work) but if it's not, I'd sure like to know what is?
rt2 7-57Mauser.jpg
rt2 7-57Mauser.jpg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
Grip 7-57Mauser.jpg
Grip 7-57Mauser.jpg (31.7 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
forarm 7-57Mauser.jpg
forarm 7-57Mauser.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
[attachment=0]FlrPlate 7-57Mauser.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
FlrPlate 7-57Mauser.jpg
FlrPlate 7-57Mauser.jpg (31.48 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
imfuncity

for Jack, "My Prettiest Model 8"

Post by imfuncity »

DSC_0672.JPG
DSC_0672.JPG (19.04 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
DSC_0673.jpg
DSC_0673.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
DSC_0674.JPG
DSC_0674.JPG (39.46 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
DSC_0683.JPG
DSC_0683.JPG (44.91 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
DSC_0681a.jpg
DSC_0681a.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 13140 times
DSC_0690.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG (23.15 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
DSC_0677.JPG
DSC_0677.JPG (30.03 KiB) Viewed 13139 times
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack,

your "F" grade made my jaw drop, AGAIN! :shock:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Imfuncity......Closeups of the 99 Shortrifle stock. I`ve done a bit of checkering so have a critical eye when viewing another`s work.The checkering has perfect lines and is pointed up evenly throughout the panels.It appears a simple pattern on the grip at first glance but it takes a skilled hand to do the rollover and keep the lines even and straight.I hope I gain the confidence to give a pattern like that a try.
The black guns have their place I guess, though they don`t do much for me.Other than a couple Glocks I had as duty weapons and a Benelli M1, I don`t own any black guns or AR types.I read the forums and publications and it worries me that the popularity of these type weapons is causing a split amonst traditional collectors/ shooters and the black gun crowd.We need to be careful about disparaging other gun owner`s preferences.We need to hang together or we might all hang seperate.Just a thought. Joe
Attachments
IMG_2754.JPG
IMG_2754.JPG (230.75 KiB) Viewed 13098 times
IMG_2749.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG (139.84 KiB) Viewed 13098 times
IMG_2748.JPG
IMG_2748.JPG (223.94 KiB) Viewed 13098 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Came into the game late but I understand the traditional vs. black gun debate, and the rope necktie party. I do have "some black rifles". Got mine after my boy did his time with the Army in Baghdad, he convinced me of their value and utilitarian purpose. But, when it comes to fun to shoot and what accompanies me to the range, they are not usually in attendance - unless, he is along also. :D
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Sarge is correct about about the dangers in being critical of others choices and I stand corrected, my intent was to imply the artistic design, engraving, inlays and other embellishments of earlier times is more pleasing for " A prettiest gun", however, from a functional stand point, I most certainly would want a black gun if I were ever called again in defense of my country. General George Patton is often quoted as saying the Garand M1 is the best battle weapon ever devised and todays rifles are even better, the M14 with detachable magazine was a tremendous improvement over the M1. If you have ever tried to insert a new clip in an M1 with cold gloved hands you know what that is like. Unfortunately, freedom is not free and every generation is called to secure and preserve our freedom and deserve the absolute best of weapons in order to do so. Jerry