My disaster, almost!

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
imfuncity

My disaster, almost!

Post by imfuncity »

As many of you know I bought my first gun about 4 years ago. Our son went in the Army infantry and spent a year in Baghdad. Trying to keep up with him and what he was doing sparked something. I bought my first gun rag in '06; read it from cover to cover except for an article on Model 81s, but having paid my monies I finally decided to go back and read the final article; several weeks later I saw and bought my first gun: 1947 M81 300Sav.

I'm an old geezer but just hadn't thought much about guns one way or another. I'm unable to do a lot of things but researching, buying, and shooting guns has gone a long way to rehab-ing and curing what ails me. All that to say, I'm no expert on anything but I do try to observe, ask a questions, and I've been blessed with some great teachers in cyberspace and in life.

A personal friend, great gunsmith and my gun mentor prematurely passed away a couple of weeks ago. In Jack's honor I'd like to share "just an old Okie boy" tip, that has saved my bacon several times.

After our two month monsoon, I checked my accumulation for rust as I have learned to do - after a disaster on an expensive pellet gun several years back. Sure enough the rust demons had been busy, this time on my 12ga A5. I was heart sick when I took it out of the "silicon impregnated sock" made by Allen. (I have 20-30 cheaper socks, all with rifles in them, stored in the same area - but with no rust!)
P1010010rus4x.jpg
P1010010rus4x.jpg (203.09 KiB) Viewed 9332 times
I got out Jack's Okie fix: corrugated cardboard, WD-40, and a pre-1982 penny (made of brass: 95% copper, 5% zinc). First, I put the WD-40 on the cardboard and rubbed on some of the rust spots. I've found that this works well on rust quickly formed and quickly FOUND. But not this time, this was too deep - I'm not a happy camper. I dig out my trusty penny. At first, in an out of the way spot, I "scratch" at the rust with the penny, then rub off the "scratched marks" with the WD-40 soaked cardboard. Looks good but I can still feel the rust as I scrap the penny over the spot. I scratch harder until it is smooth, rub, gone!! Now I go at it with gusto, 'bout an hour later:
P1010015UnRusPatina4x.jpg
P1010015UnRusPatina4x.jpg (155.72 KiB) Viewed 9330 times
As you can see even the little bit of patina that was on the receiver is still there and looks good.

Happy camper still busy checking all of my metal "tools", etc.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Re: My disaster, almost!

Post by 81police »

I never heard of that trick, wow that worked pretty good. Thanks for sharing that tip Mitch!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

I'm writing those instructions down!
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Mitch,

I haven't heard of this process and I will be writing it down and put it where I won't forget it, I hope. :lol: Thanks for sharing the information.

Jack
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Nice looking Browning A5, appears to be made after 1909 because of that type safety which replaced the previous susicide inside trigger guard, you did excellent job cleaning off the rust and restoring finish. Thanks for passing method and tip on how to, sighthound
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks guys. The gun community is a great family, folks are always helping out this newbie, glad to combine a couple of old tricks to contribute a bit. I also carry a pre-82 penny when I go to gunshows to determine how bad is bad when I come across something of interest. 8-)

I have wondered about the age of my A-5 #1160xx? It is no collector piece: missing a patch of bluing has nicks in the furniture, etc. but it functions fine. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I have done essentially the same thing, but using a copper wool. sort of like coarse steel wool, but made of copper. I don't remember where I bought it, but I believe it was at a supermarket. It might have been sold to work on pots and pans. I didn't use any cardboard.

Over 10 years ago, I bought at a garage sale a mechanically-sound S&W 12 gauge pump gun that looked like your A5 (before), only worse. I bought it very cheaply, and as it had only utility value, I decided to give refinishing a try. I used the copper wool on it along with mineral spirits, which removed most of the rust, but there wasn't a lot of bluing left after I was done, actually patches of bare metal and pits along with patches of spotty-looking bluing, in the rusted areas. After cleaning up and degreasing the metal (and refinishing the wood), I went over the metal with cold bluing (I think it was Birchwood Casey) and steel wool. It turned out looking pretty good with a fairly even blue, but it wouldn't be confused with new. I still have it, shoot with it, and like it as it fits me very well. I wouldn't do this treatment on a gun with any significant value.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

DeWalt
Heard of the copper wool / scouring pad but I haven't been able to find one. On the other hand, I've got plenty of pennies with no practical use. ;) (I just found out that it costs our government 1.79 cents to make a penny? And they want me to trust them with my health!!?!)

I'm not sure what the corrugated cardboard does but it doesn't scratch and it takes off the surface rust real well.

Like your S&W story, often those become our favorite go to guns.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Yes, it is - The S&W is probably the most monetarily-worthless gun in my accumulation, but it's far from being the one I would sell first if I needed to. Just like mongrel dogs often make better "best friends" than purebreds (I have some experience there also).

Mineral spirits would probably work as well as WD-40 (which is mainly mineral spirits) for de-rusting. I once had a Remington Model 11 (basically the same as the A5) which would rust at the drop of a hat. You could take it out hunting in dry weather, and the next day there would be a fine rust coating on the receiver, but never the barrel. I guess it had something to do with the steel alloy Remington used for receivers. However, I could always remove the rust with a paper towel wetted with mineral spirits, and it didn't seem to affect the bluing. Don't know how I would get by without mineral spirits - I go through a gallon or so a year just for general cleaning and degreasing purposes. Come to think of it, paper towels would probably work a lot like cardboard in your de-rusting method. I always use paper towels for bore cleaning, and have for many years. They work as well as, and maybe better than, cloth.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Glad you mentioned paper towels, I now remember that was what Jack mentioned using first. Turned out that the rust I was dealing with needed something stronger to actually scrub with, thus the cardboard.

I do have an M11 and an 870 that have never rusted but (speaking of Rem alloy), in '04 we bought our son a new Rem 870 and all you had to do was look at it twice and the receiver would turn brown! He finally sold it and bought an older 870, not a lick of problem with rust on this one, like my older one.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks for the tip using a penny to remove rust.I recently did a Remington 7mm carbine rolling block that was in pretty good shape save some rust on receiver.No pits but had some spots that were really dark as if stained into the metal.I have used copper scouring pads and also brass bore brushes in the past with Kroil for rust removal.The spots refused to budge until I bore down hard with the penny. Spots gone and no scratches in the metal. As far as copper scouring pads stay away from discount mart products as most of them are steel coated with copper.The only ones I use are "Chore Boy" sold at Ace Hardware.They are still made with pure copper.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks Sarge glad it helped and appreciate the info on the pads - that is one of the reasons I've stayed away from them, I had heard about one leaving scratches, now I reckon I know why.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I looked, and the copper scouring pads I have used are Chore Boy also.