ammo for 8's and 81's

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
shoez

ammo for 8's and 81's

Post by shoez »

Hi,

I just want to see who else out there collects ammo for the 8 and 81. I have one box of Winchester 25 Rem, one box of Western 32 Remington Autoloading, and 6 boxes of Remington brand 30 Rem, ranging in age from an early Remington/UMC slip top box, to green Remington box with 160 grain FMJ's, a blue and white Peters box, a Big R Remington box, and a 1990 date coded green and yellow box. I load for the 30 Rem, so I don't shoot any of the collector stuff (I did shoot some late 1960's yellow box Winchester Silvertips that I had and have never seen since anywhere. Mistake :oops: ) and I don't need the brass as I bought a few hundred new cases a few years ago from where I don't remember now. I think I still have 100 that I have never loaded yet. I try to buy any of these 3 calibers when I can (and afford) just for collecting sake. Don't see much 25 and 32 at all. I don't really know why I don't collect 35 Rems. In the last 5 years, I have scrounged up 3 boxes of late green and yellow box stuff at gun shops that I come across. And I look at gun shows too, and even went to the International Cartridge Collectors show in St. Louis today, and found some way expensive 30 Rem that cost almost what I paid for the rifle!! No Thanks!
TNrifleman

Re: ammo for 8's and 81's

Post by TNrifleman »

Shoez,

Ammunition for these rifles can be an interesting pursuit in it's own right. I like to nose around in out of the way gunshops, hardware stores, etc. looking to ammo. Like you, I am a handloader, so I buy cases too. Lately, the prices and availability of components have been just crazy in my area. I hope things will settle down soon.
8mm06

Post by 8mm06 »

Went to a gun show today and picked up a box of .32's for $17.00 :D :D :D The buy's are still there ,you have to keep looking and it can take time. Also picked up a 2 piece box of .30's on an auction for $30.00 shipped, still waiting for them to come through the mail. There was one model 81 in 300 savage for $595. It looked very clean and showed little signs of use .
TNrifleman

Post by TNrifleman »

Sometimes, half the fun of this can be hunting stuff you need; ammo, sights, spare parts, etc. Just keep digging! :D
TNyoteboy

Post by TNyoteboy »

I've got a box of 30 Rem for sale in the "for sale" section if anyone is interested.