Finally found ammo for my 81

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
Bitter

Finally found ammo for my 81

Post by Bitter »

I finally got ammo for my model 81 at a local show today. The seller gave me a very fair price on all his 35 remington.
He also had the most 30rem i have seen in one place.
Im excited to finally have some ammo in these trying times and it is all in very good condition.
If by some miracle you post here, thanks David, you really made my day.
PicsArt_01-01-02.58.51.jpg
PicsArt_01-01-02.58.51.jpg (426.2 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
Sarge756

Re: Finally found ammo for my 81

Post by Sarge756 »

Glad you are happy with your find. The 'Dogbone" Rem and the Win Silvertips are of course "vintage" aka old. One caution: with brass being at such a premium you may experience split necks when you shoot them. I ran into that with a couple boxes of 30Rem Red/Green box few years back. Rather than waste the brass I pulled the bullets and annealed the necks and reloaded them. No problem after that. Did you buy any of his 30 Rem ammo? Probably should have cause if you hang around here very long it is likely you will end up needing some. These rifles love to have company in other calibers and Jackitus is more contagious than the CCP virus.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Bitter

Post by Bitter »

I didn't pick up any, but i have his business card and he told me to call him for more. 35.
Thanks for the heads up. Could i reuse the roundnose bullets? Im pretty new to reloading and dont really know how to not ruin my brass.
Bitter

Post by Bitter »

Also if i do shoot a few rounds shoud i be worried about hangfires and squibs? Or do you think the powder has held up.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Not trying to create problem where none exists.Just caution about what I have had occur with old brass in the past. The splitting of the necks occurs because as brass ages it gets hard and brittle and upon firing will break/split . Yours may be just fine and will more than likely function ok. If you are going to proceed into reloading a bullet puller is a good tool to have.Use for the purpose you may have and also because somewhere sometime you will need to double check a round you have loaded when a possible mistake was made and you aren`t sure. There are different types : Impact/Inertia, Collet and Cam locking. The first type is the least expensive and works fine. They can be found for $20 bucks or less. Forestor is a good brand. Yes you can reuse the bullet and the powder if you have to pull the ones you have. Might mention that what you have is fairly desirable for collectors of old ammo . Some are looking for a box to display or have in a case with their old rifle.Of course it is your decision on whether to shoot it up or not especially the Dogbone box.
Old ammo was made to go bang for a long time. I`ve shot a bunch of it. Caution follows for any ammo whether old or new.
Bitter

Post by Bitter »

Sarge756 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:18 pm Not trying to create problem where none exists.Just caution about what I have had occur with old brass in the past. The splitting of the necks occurs because as brass ages it gets hard and brittle and upon firing will break/split . Yours may be just fine and will more than likely function ok. If you are going to proceed into reloading a bullet puller is a good tool to have.Use for the purpose you may have and also because somewhere sometime you will need to double check a round you have loaded when a possible mistake was made and you aren`t sure. There are different types : Impact/Inertia, Collet and Cam locking. The first type is the least expensive and works fine. They can be found for $20 bucks or less. Forestor is a good brand. Yes you can reuse the bullet and the powder if you have to pull the ones you have. Might mention that what you have is fairly desirable for collectors of old ammo . Some are looking for a box to display or have in a case with their old rifle.Of course it is your decision on whether to shoot it up or not especially the Dogbone box.
Old ammo was made to go bang for a long time. I`ve shot a bunch of it. Caution follows for any ammo whether old or new.
Thanks so much Joe you have been very helpful. I figure im going to shoot a few in the box, see if there are any issues, and then reuse the brass for reloads. I can understand the collectors point of view because I also collect old ammo boxes and ammunition. But i figure the ammo and gun would be happier used for its purpose.
Bitter

Post by Bitter »

I decided to fire one round as a test, and yup as expected it split the neck.
I guess ill need to invest in that bullet puller and anneal these cases.
That being said im impressed with the rifle as i hit a steel target from 200yds away exactly where i was aiming.
Cant wait for my reloading equipment to come in and to find more ammo.
DSC_2796.JPG
DSC_2796.JPG (301.48 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

With that old of brass annealing may not help much. .35 Rem brass is readily available on Gunbroker and elsewhere. Sadly its probably ready for the recycler.
The necks might give up on pulling bullets. Too old, too brittle.
Bitter

Post by Bitter »

9.3shooter wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:00 pm With that old of brass annealing may not help much. .35 Rem brass is readily available on Gunbroker and elsewhere. Sadly its probably ready for the recycler.
The necks might give up on pulling bullets. Too old, too brittle.
Im going to use one or two as a test and if it doesn’t work im just going to save the ammo for a day im really desperate. I got some new brass coming in the mail from GB but i hope remington or someone will put out a new batch so i wouldn't need to pay the scalpers!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Better chance looking for rain in Death Valley than Remington making anymore 35Remington. Remington as we knew it is no more.If it wasn't for Henry and Marlin lever guns being chambered in 35Rem it would probably have disappeared long ago like the 25,30 and 32's. Shame that you had to resort to GB and the scalpers. There are other sources. I frequent several forums and 35 Rem brass comes up from time to time in the classifieds. Should I see some reasonable will give you a shout. I miss our friend Grumpa. He had perfected process of converting 308 military brass to 35Rem. Ones I bought before he left us have been reloaded many times with no issues.
Joe
Bitter

Post by Bitter »

Sarge756 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:23 am Better chance looking for rain in Death Valley than Remington making anymore 35Remington. Remington as we knew it is no more.If it wasn't for Henry and Marlin lever guns being chambered in 35Rem it would probably have disappeared long ago like the 25,30 and 32's. Shame that you had to resort to GB and the scalpers. There are other sources. I frequent several forums and 35 Rem brass comes up from time to time in the classifieds. Should I see some reasonable will give you a shout. I miss our friend Grumpa. He had perfected process of converting 308 military brass to 35Rem. Ones I bought before he left us have been reloaded many times with no issues.
Joe
Thanks joe, guess ill call every gun shop in a two hour radius of me. I don't really want to pay 260$ for 60 rounds of ammo.
Bitter

Post by Bitter »

Only place that has some in my entire state is three hours away with one box for 32$. I guess im going for a drive
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... mmo#UNREAD

Bitter, This was posted on 24hrCampfire couple hours ago.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

See the seller has no idea who reloaded the "reloads" so I'd be a bit leery and suspicious as too what power level they are loaded to. I won't shoot another persons reloads unless I know them well and know they are as fussy and careful as I in reloading. Some guys are careless and/or to 'macho' in reloading. Then to, maybe they'd work, but I've never heard any reports of a semi-wad cutter style bullet being shot in a 8/81 rifle. Wonder how they would function/chamber in a 8/81 semiauto.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Rifleman..... Seller was pretty clear about what was factory (the 17 Federals) and the rest obvious reloads and stated being sold as components only. Agree with your policy on reloads. The price is not too bad with factory stuff $2 a round or better and brass going for a buck a piece. I havn`t shot SWC`s in any of my 8`s but have loaded them with 10grs of Unique for plinking loads in Marlin 336`s and a Rem141 and they are fun to shoot. Was talking about this subject with our friend Jack1653 and am planning to try those rounds in an 8. Have a feeling that there might not be enough recoil to function the action. We`ll see when I get a chance to visit the range. I`ll let you know.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I'm thinking too that the seller might be doing a legal thing like gun manufacturers did by stamping those "Read Instruction Manuel" on gun barrels to alleviate themselves from gun owners law suits who don't follow basic rules of shooting and stating in owner's manuals not to shoot reloaded ammo in their firearms (only factory) for protection from 'hot rod' reloaders. Hate seeing that lawyer instigated warnings on gun barrels. Anyway the seller is stating he's selling for components but has no control over anyone who does shoot the ammo. They may be ok, but it only takes one round to ruin a gun and/or injury.

IMO price to high at $2 a round, not for me on any ammo (why I reload). I'd be surprised if the SWC bullets/ammo would cycle in a 8/81, ie not chamber worth a hoot, but ya never know. Have never heard or read of anyone shooting SWC ammo in a 8/81. I've loaded up 30 caliber cast bullets for my two 300 Savage 81's with success, but they're round nose bullets.

As you mentioned, may not be powerful enough to work action if downloaded. I load and shoot a variety of reduced power loads (cast bullet) in a variety of military bolt actions from a Krag, WW1 and WW2 rifles from four countries and they are fun and accurate to shoot. A auto loader whether gas or recoil operated as you mentioned needs a certain power level to operate. I like to know what powder and grain weight would be before I'd ever fire either one of those reloaded cartridges and then still be leery. I've heard of some scary practices by some reloaders over the years, ie. mixing powders, loading unknown powders because they're to cheap to dispose of, and other no-no's.