First Hunt with my Model 8

Hunting pictures of your Remington Autoloader
Big Dooley

First Hunt with my Model 8

Post by Big Dooley »

Hello everyone, just wanted to post a picture of my first hunt with my 1928 Model 8. This is the rifle my fiance gave me for Christmas in 2011. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2509 I had been looking forward to hunting with it since then. Opening day was 11-17-12 here in East Tennessee and after spotting three does, I made about a quarter mile circle to get in range with the wind in my favor. After much walking and glassing, I was in a good position to take a shot with my .30 Remington. This doe never took a step and dropped right where she stood. It was without a doubt the most fun hunt I have had since I began hunting. I love this old rifle and will be hunting with it for many years. Hope you all have great hunts, Big Dooley.
Attachments
Hunt8.jpg
Hunt8.jpg (169.37 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
[b]Big Dooley[/b]
Pitchy

Re: First Hunt with my Model 8

Post by Pitchy »

Congrats on the deer and nice rifle also. 8-)
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Congratulations Dooley on both the hunt with and repair of your Model 8. Great write ups I enjoied reading on both counts. Your experience with the M8 is a perfict example of just how much fun and satisifaction these old guns can be. :)
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

Thanks Wildgoose, I am really glad that the rifle wasn't working properly when I first got it because it made me research and find out more about the rifle. Doing the repair myself with the help of my brother made it special too. I really do love this old rifle and it will never be sold as long as I live. There is just something very special about using these great old rifles to bring home food for your family. Here's another picture from the hunt.
Attachments
Hunt.jpg
Hunt.jpg (163.46 KiB) Viewed 8634 times
[b]Big Dooley[/b]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very cool indeed. Great job and thanks for sharing.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
olskool

Post by olskool »

very nice! i killed one doe last year with my model 8 1927 in 32 rem. and this year i have kill 2 spike bucks and plan to kill more. i have a 30 in a model 14R what load do you shoot?
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

I have a set of reloading dies but haven't worked up any loads yet. I used the 150 grain load from Wisconsin Cartridge Comapany for this hunt. My rifle seems to like the 150 grain bullets so I will probably stick with them. I also have a Remington Model 141 in .30 Remington but haven't really shot it very much. I plan to though. I have pictures of it on here too. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2527
[b]Big Dooley[/b]