Hog Bustin

Hunting pictures of your Remington Autoloader
jack1653

Hog Bustin

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

I don't have the pictures yet, but wanted to say that I killed a 180 pound sow this past Saturday. I was using a model 81 .300 Savage with a Krieger conversion. The rifle is outfitted with a Packmeyer tip mount and it functioned perfectly. If you guys haven't used a Krieger conversion, let me tell you it is the nuts when it comes to loading and unloading the rifle especially if the rifle has a scope on it. I'll have to say that the .300 Savage did a good job on the hog. It was a good head shot and the hog didn't know what hit her. No need for tracking this one as it dropped in it's tracks.

I can't say that the rifle kicked any worse than any high powered rifle but then I was hunting and not target shooting. I have found over the years that the recoil always seems harder when shooting from a bench than just off hand shooting.

As soon as my friend gets me the picture, I will have it posted.

Regards,

jack1653
Packmule

Re: Hog Bustin

Post by Packmule »

Grats Jack and welcome to the war on hogs.......... looking forward to some pics

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Way-cool, can't wait for the pics.

BTW your point is well taken, we all "need a Kreiger" - are you purposing to help us out? I'm willing to be first in line. :mrgreen:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

Busted another hog this evening with a S&W .357. The Model 81 .300 was used for backup but it wasn't needed.

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

nothin like huntin swine!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
tx81

Krieger conversion

Post by tx81 »

Okay, I'll bite . . . . . what's a "Krieger conversion" for loading & unloading an 81???

Mine has a side mounted scope and I simply lock the bolt to the rear and insert the rounds into the magazine one at a time. Usually drop in three, and have had no need to drop in round # 4 since both deer shot with the 81 have only needed just the first round.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi tx81,

Check the link I provided on this site for details.
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=563

jack1653
tx81

Krieger Conversion

Post by tx81 »

Thanks for the post!!

But I think I'll keep my 81 just as it is.
I can see a slight advantage to magazine loading, but loading the 81 isn't as bad the old poster says it is.
A little patience and it's no worse than loading <<gasp>> my Savage bolt action with an internal magazine.

Again, thanks for giving me the info I was looking for.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

TX81, since you don't want a Kreiger... I'm such a nice guy ;) I'll just let you send any that you come across my way! And while you are at it, I'll take a "police" or two also. :D

I'm dying here - Jack hunting with Kreigers and police and even finding something to shoot!! :o What a martyr.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
J. Riekers

Post by J. Riekers »

Nice hog shootin'!
www.TARSporting.com
co-owner
Professional Hunter

buy Joe's books: www.huntingtheintroducedspecies.com
tx81

Post by tx81 »

imfuncity wrote:TX81, since you don't want a Kreiger... I'm such a nice guy ;) I'll just let you send any that you come across my way! And while you are at it, I'll take a "police" or two also. :D

I'm dying here - Jack hunting with Kreigers and police and even finding something to shoot!! :o What a martyr.
Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute here! I didn't say I didn't "want" one, I was saying I wasn't going to be trying to turn my 81 into one. If I ran across one, I'd certainly snatch it up in a heartbeat!

But if I get to the point that I need all the rounds in a "police" or even the last couple rounds in the bottom of the magazine to drop a deer, then I need to go back to the basics and learn how to shoot again. When I missed a doe at 95 yrds through the scope with the 81 one night and a buck through the scope on my 740 the next night, I spent the afternoon of the third day re-zeroing both of them. One shot fired from each of them after that put two doe in the freezer, both pics submitted somewhere in these forums.

Right now, we're hunkering down and getting ready for that northern to blow into town.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

tx81 , was just say'n... :roll: :lol:

Indeed, I can ID with the scope thing. A few years ago I had a skunk in the crosshairs of my sons 10/22 at 30', after firing 5 rounds apparently the skunk became irritated by the sound and waddled off! :?: The next morning I too found the problem with the scope. (Although, it was hard to hear the click adjustments, over my wife's laughing!!) :twisted:

PS A shame that someone doesn't post pictures of his "hog bustin" and notice that we've hijacked his thread. :o
81police

Post by 81police »

PS A shame that someone doesn't post pictures of his "hog bustin" and notice that we've hijacked his thread

Jack's just teasin us! ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

C'mon guys,

Give an old man a break. :o I am waiting to get the pictures back from my friend who took them. By the time I remembered the picture for the second hog, I had it quartered and in the ice chest. Getting older is affecting my memory but not my shooting. :shock: By the time I remember to take the pictures it is either to late or to darn dark. :roll:

I am glad to see all the activity on this post. Just keep on hi-JACKing it :D

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Let's see...
Digital camera = instant pictures.
Internet = access to forum.
Forum access = pictures.
Hummmm, no pictures = Vapor-Hog!?! :twisted:
tx81

Post by tx81 »

"Getting older is affecting my memory . . . By the time I remember to take the pictures it is either to late or to darn dark."

And gee, I thought that's why cameras came with this neat invention called a "flash". :idea:

The doe I shot this year both came out at near dark. By the time I could chase them down and get them up to the house it was well after dark. I guess you could say that I went "Hog wild" taking pictures of them, 'cause at least I managed to get pics to post to the forum. :lol:
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Hey Jack, you're toast my friend! There is a bit of evidence on this very forum that you like to see other folks pics so .... Fess up, were not buying this "get 'em from my friend" bit.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Okay. I get the messasge. Honest guys, I did get pictures of the two hogs but they were taken by my friend who was using a disposable camera because both of us had left our didital cameras at home. :( The camera did have a flash attachment so the pictures should be okay, but I am at his mercy as to when I will get the pictures.

Mitch has nailed me pretty good on my asking for pictures from everyone else and I am guilty. :oops: I thought I had been doing pretty good about submitting pictures from time to time but I guess past actions don't count. I will be more careful about asking for pictures from now on. :lol:

In the meantime, I have asked 81police to post a couple of pictures for me that I hope will serve as a substitute until I get the hog pictures. I guess you can call the two pictures "Hog Vaporizers". :o I hope y'all will enjoy seeing a part of the results of "jackitis". It is kind of funny how this disease keeps coming back to bite me. I feel another episode is just around the corner. Oh yeah, if it bites me really good, I will try and get some thing to post. ;)

Thanks guys,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

per Jack's request to fill in for the vapor hogs...

wow Jack!

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

That's just plain wrong ;) ;). I am just a bit jealous.... very cool Jack. Dennis
tx81

Post by tx81 »

rem81auto wrote:That's just plain wrong ;) ;). I am just a bit jealous.... very cool Jack. Dennis
What he said!! That's way too cool, and yup, I'm way too jealous.