factory checkered???

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
uhjohnson

factory checkered???

Post by uhjohnson »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =196685091 i ask the seller if this gun is factory checkered and he he replied "I just spoke to a historian at Remington and the checkering on the rifle is factory". is he telling the truth

thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
jack1653

Re: factory checkered???

Post by jack1653 »

Hey upjohnson,

The guy may be telling the truth as he understands it but I have my doubts as to it being factory checkered. It does not match the patterns of the traditional Remington factory checkering. I have never seen a checkered stock with the "round" pattern that is on the stock. Everything that I have and have seen is always a "pointed pattern with a double perimeter grove. There is always a chance that it could be, but I have serious reservations based on the experts. I am sure you will get another opinion on this subject.

Someplace on this forum, 81police has provided pictures of the authentic checkering. If I can locate them, I'll send another reply. If I can't find them, send me your email address to jack1653@att.net and I'll be happy to forward you some pictures of the real thing.

Regards,

jack1653
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I am a far cry from being an expert but I don't buy that checkering as factory done ... not for a second.
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm in agreement, that's a NO on factory checkering.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator