Newbie here

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
mainejohn

Newbie here

Post by mainejohn »

Hi I am new here, i just put my first model 8 on layaway, hopefully get it next week. its in 32 rem, can i still get ammo for it?
imfuncity

Re: .32 rem

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome, we do try to enjoy ourselves, the old hump backs, and helping folks get into our little world.

As to the .32 Rem cartridge (rimless for your M8) - Yes and No. Don't you hate that? The cartridge is obsolete and discontinued but there is plenty of information online and here on the forum regarding reloading. I have also had luck finding it at gun shows. The best price I found is at Reed's Ammunition & Research, plus Ron is a nice guy to deal with.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Re: Newbie here

Post by 81police »

mainejohn,

welcome to the website, we're glad to have you! You may also want to look at Old Western Scrounger for modern reloaded ammunition too.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mainejohn

Post by mainejohn »

thanks for the tips. i just checked the serial number of my model 8 and it is 9115. so i think its made in 1908. so super clean. would like to find a tang sight for it.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Not mine, just came across it:
EBay #150509752721 NIB Not a tang but receiver sight, no drilling necessary, has the mounting screw - they don't come any nicer then this; plus the guy is sortof local to you, Turner, ME. I actually prefer this style over the tang.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

imfuncity wrote:Not mine, just came across it:
EBay #150509752721 NIB Not a tang but receiver sight, no drilling necessary, has the mounting screw - they don't come any nicer then this; plus the guy is sortof local to you, Turner, ME. I actually prefer this style over the tang.
I believe Redfield's require 1 additional added hole to the receiver.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: sight, for-surely-wrong!

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed. Good catch Cam.

Serves me right for not checking :oops: - normally I take mine down and confirm. On this one I-was-for-sure, now I'm-for-surely-wrong, it does need to be drilled and tapped for a second screw! :o
mainejohn

Post by mainejohn »

i guess the gun shop gave me the wrong serial number. I picked up the gun today and underneth the reviver towards the barrell it says 40455 and it looks like a "d" underneth it. then were the barrell attaches to the reciever on the under side above the serial number it says 66963! what is that number? is this a mismatch gun? does the magazine come out? i cant figure how to remove it! any help would be great.
81police

Post by 81police »

John,

From the information provided, it sounds like your rifle's receiver and barrel assembly are from two different guns. The magazines on factory Model 8's are not removable. It must be loaded either by individual cartridges by hand through the top of the receiver or via stripper clips which are getting expensive.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mainejohn

Post by mainejohn »

does the value of the gun go way down if it is from 2 different parts? i paid 425 for it, so did i get screwed?
imfuncity

Re: Newbie here - ouch

Post by imfuncity »

Unfortunately, being from two different guns did not help it's value - that's for sure. The good news is as a shooter it should function just fine and as a keeper you probably did just OK on the price - unlikely it will ever bring more then that. (Personally I would only pay that much for a matched-original shooter grade.)

My question would be the ethical responsibility of the gun shop; what would they say regarding returning it? 1. They gave you the wrong serial number. 2. They sold you a parts gun. I know the gun shop I frequent would take it back on minor things let alone something like this.

When I first started I lucked out and did not get burned regarding mismatched (or brazed barrels, etc.). Now, I ask permission, then always take the gun down to check it out, if they won't allow me to do that I walk regardless of price.
mainejohn

Post by mainejohn »

i guess i should have researhced it a little more, and not jump into something iam not sure about. so are all parts on these guns marked with the same serial number? I got the gun a cabelas here in maine, the paper work says no returns on guns. but i should ask them.
mainejohn

Post by mainejohn »

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff33 ... el8005.jpg
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff33 ... el8001.jpg

if this works here are a few pictures. just above the serial number is a another number! if these 2 are different then does this mean this is a parts gun?
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey mainejohn,

I agree with Mitch that the store that sold you the gun did not do you right and I hope that you didn't pay a premium to get the rifle. Mitch is correct in stating the value is greatly diminished if all the parts are not numbered to the gun.

Let me jump in here and say that I wouldn't be all that concerned that the serial numbers do not match. If you are not a "purest" collector, it shouldn't really matter that the numbers do not match. The numbers have nothing to do with the functioning or shooting ability of these rifles. When someone use the term "parts rifle" I interpret that to mean that the gun does not function or is beyond repair. The only thing it would be good for would be to salvage as many "parts" as possible to use on other rifles that might need parts, thus the name "parts rifle".

I can tell you that many rifles out there have mixed serial numbers. Some have come factory repairs or modifications or guys have taken parts from other rifles to get one good one. I personally see nothing wrong with having a rifle that doesn't have all matching numbers. I have several rifles that are beautiful and do not have matching numbers. These are not collector grade rifles but are still well functioning. As Mitch and I have said, as long you didn't pay the price for a "matched" rifle, you should be okay.

If you have any doubts about the safety or functioning of the rifle, have a gunsmith check it out. Other than that, take the rifle out and shoot it and enjoy the thrill of having one of these fine shooting instruments. Good Luck and by the way, Welcome to the forum.

Regards,

Jack
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

This is a learning experience for sure but hopefully not an expensive one.

My opinion:
1st, Out of principal, at the very least, if I was you I would return the rifle... "every time I looked at it I don't want to think I got ripped off".
2nd, I believe you can get a "matched" numbers rifle for what you paid.
3rd, Again not that a "matched" rifle shoots better but it will at the very least hold it's value and history shows that it will likely go up in value as almost all firearms do.
4th, Cabelas is a large company, they want to have a good reputation as a gun seller. I believe they want you and the public (us and everyone else you tell) to be happy with your purchase - it keeps them in business.
5th, I believe you have been wronged at the very least by the serial number they gave you - that is a serious mistake where I live. Also, their credibility is at stake in not disclosing that this rifle had "mis"matched numbers, a quality firearms dealer would not have missed that and they want us to believe they are one of the best firearms dealers. Was the salesman covering for his mistake by giving you a bogus serial number? I think you have a strong case to politely return it (before you fire it!) and I would go straight to the manager with your complaint.

An aside: I was not trying to be disparaging of your rifle by calling it a "parts rifle". Jacks opinion/definition of the term "parts rifle" is just as valid. I've heard the term used both ways as "just a parts gun" and as a shooter that was put together with mismatched parts. (Not withstanding, if they give you some resistance it might be a term to use with the manager regarding "HIS rifle".)

Enjoy another life experience!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

You are right on Mitch. I can't imagine the ATF approving what Cabellas did on this transaction.

Jack