barrel jacket/adapter is loose

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
uhjohnson

barrel jacket/adapter is loose

Post by uhjohnson »

my barrel jacket wobbles slightly in the adapter. is it wore out or is the barrel jacket bushing not tight enough

thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
81police

Re: barrel jacket/adapter is loose

Post by 81police »

Barrel jackets can become loose inside the jacket head. There is a small pin that retains them. Where is Pete Verschneider when you need him? He's fixed a dozen of these...
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

uhjohnson,
Good question and a new one!

Cam,
Good info to have. Never had one loose but I would have been concerned also. Is there more too it then "swelling" out the pin? Yo, Pete - help.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

All gunsmiths are not made of the same mental caliber.....

I have a Model 8 that had the barrel jacket become loose and a gunsmith silver soldered the barrel jacket to the shroud about 1948. I really do not know the reason it was silver soldered-I was only six at the time. Its quite possible he could not get the broken pin out.

Can Pete perform miracles? I am assuming he heats the part up loosening the broken part of the pin.

Shoot Straight!
Behemotosh
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

What a shame. I'm not a metal worker but of all the solder, etc. used, it would seem that is one with the best chance of being undone. What say ye experts?

The more I read of these horror stories the luckier I feel regarding my accumulation during my ignorance (does that ever pass?) - Only one bad apple!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

are all barrel jackets and heads cross caliber interchangeble

thanks
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

81police

Post by 81police »

As far as I've seen all barrel jackets are interchangeable between calibers.

Behemotosh, don't feel bad, that's not the only silver soldered Remington barrel jacket out there!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Buddy,

You are not along with solderd barrel. I have a model 8 .25 that has been braised. I have been considering making it a "Full-Stocked Military Rifle". I have been talking to Remcrazy and am really interested in his project. I hope that he can find the hardware, because when he does, I have solved my problem of having a braised .25!!!

I have a couple other rifles that have loose barrel jackets and have found that the little pin will come out very easily. It seems to me that putting a new pin with a slightly larger diameter would solve the problem, but I am not a gunsmith.

jack1653
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

i am going to take my model 8 to my local gunsmith and see if he can fix the loose barrel jacket/head without using silver solder or brazing unless Pete Verschneider will surface or any other ideas out there. secondly, why isn't the pin shown in the exploded view on this web sight in "everything else 8/81"

81police

Post by 81police »

uhjohnson,

that's because many parts breakdown's (including some of Remington's & the one on this website) listed the barrel jacket as one part. But you are correct, the "barrel jacket" includes both the barrel jacket and the barrel jacket head. This also applies to the "barrel" as well which technically includes the barrel and barrel extension.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Couple of things:
Will someone post a picture or two of the very un-correct fix of the silver-solder/brazed jacket adapter, perhaps I'm just lucky but I've not seen anything like it and would like to "see" what I don't want to see on any of mine.

Second, how about a picture of the "pin" as it should be or loose, again so we can avoid it or at least know what we are getting into. I have several schematics and as was pointed out none of them show this pin and/or mention that this can become an issue and how to fix it.

Thanks
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

i am going to make the barrel jacket bushing removal tool like you did imfuncity and get some pictures on board. one thing different i will try is to cut a patch from a heavy duty plastic trash bag and slide the socket over it and place a piece of shrink tubing over the drill bit to cut down on any maring. whenever i take a screw out of a gun i always cut a small piece of electrical tape and press it against the head to form an indentation before inserting the screwdriver--this has always worked for me.
i do not do this on shallow head screws
Last edited by uhjohnson on Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey MItch,

I'll send you some pictures of both of your requests. It will be sometime after this Wedneday as I am going out of town for a few days. When you get them, please feel free to post them.

Jack
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Jack,
Thanks, I'll watch for the pictures and get them posted for you.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

upJ,
Some practical suggestions for making things work better.8-) Good news, last month we thought we were going to bury my machinist friend who designed and made the tool but he celebrated his 76th birthday Friday and is rallying a bit.:D

As another idea that worked, 45guy :ugeek: made a similar "farmer" tool using a socket with the teeth stripped out or covered, just big enough to cover the bushing then drilling a hole for a bit/punch to got into barrel bushing hole. I believe he then ground down the mouth of the socket (or he may have used a second socket for this part) leaving only the two very small teeth to engage the barrel nut washer.

I've been using the tool for 2-3yrs now, very effective even as an early prototype. Using some caution it has NOT marred any of the several rifles it has been used on; including one safe queen with NO marks on the bluing. 8-)
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Hey everyone,

I actually don't feel bad about the silver soldered barrel assembly. The gun is 100% factory, but well used and still pumps them out. It is also a family heirloom, my grandfather having used it since new.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

uhjohnson wrote:i am going to make the barrel jacket bushing removal tool like you did imfuncity and get some pictures on board. one thing different i will try is to cut a patch from a heavy duty plastic trash bag and slide the socket over it and place a piece of shrink tubing over the drill bit to cut down on any maring. whenever i take a screw out of a gun i always cut a small piece of electrical tape and press it against the head to form an indentation before inserting the screwdriver--this has always worked for me.
i do not do this on shallow head screws
sorry i did not give credit where it is due. my memory is not as good as it once was. Thank for the info on making BJB removal tool jack1653

remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Hi guys!
Well, maybe I can save you all the time, trouble & expense! I have the new "Pro" takedown tools already made for the Remington Model 8 & 81. Got tired of fighting the loosing battle with stuck, rusted, frozen nuts and bushings! These are a two piece set with 12" handles on both. I garauntee you will love them. Please email me for pictures or visit my website on Gun Broker, "circlebranch@cox.net". These are heavy duty and I just took a Model 8 down that was rusted together and with no soaking in any oils, fluids etc just to proove their reliabilty. Broke the nut free with NO problems, the bushing too. I know the tools work well and once you see them, I'm sure you'll like them, $79.95 plus shipping. I had several promos out in the field for critique prior to manufacture and all liked them. I only have a few sets left as only 6 sets made thus far to see how they would go. Most have been shipped to gunsmiths. I can explain the tolerances etc. to anyone interested or, like I mention, see my auction for complete description. If I knew how to post pictures I would but, I can never get them to work. Maybe someone could tell me how to post them?
Thanks guys!
Best always,
Remcrazy
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Posting for Jack and thanks for sharing these.
BraisedIgly!
BraiseUgly0824sm.jpg
BraiseUgly0824sm.jpg (15.73 KiB) Viewed 16127 times
Barrel Pin
BarrelPin0828sm.jpg
BarrelPin0828sm.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 16128 times
81police

Post by 81police »

thanks for posting the pictures guys, wow that barrel jacket is never coming loose! Good picture too of the jacket pin.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

thanks for showing the pin in the head. if someone didn't know it was there, it would almost be imposible to find. my pin is ground flush and with the bluing it is very hard to see. i have looked all around the head to see if there was possibly two or three pins but only see one. this pin doesn't appear to be broken.

uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

found a field manual http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=132492, fifth page down remington says if the barrel jacket comes loose from the head, return to factory for new barrel jacket.
JB (John Browning) WELD is starting to look good, it probably would work as well as brazing and look like nothing was ever wrong

imfuncity

Re: JB

Post by imfuncity »

Good one on the JB Weld - always wondered where the JB came from! ;)
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

uhjohnson wrote:my barrel jacket wobbles slightly in the adapter. is it wore out or is the barrel jacket bushing not tight enough

thanks
my model 8 is a .30 cal made in 1907. will this solve my problem, whats up with the forearm nut and do you see any other problems
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =199779878

thanks

brian.35

Post by brian.35 »

Hi uhjohnson,

I don't know how to solve your barrel jacket problem, but if you are looking for a replacement barrel jacket check "the gun rack".http://www.thegunrack.net/ I've never dealt with them before but they seem to have a pretty good selection of 8/81 parts. Their list shows used barrel jackets for $35.

Good luck,
Brian
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

David R Chicoine of oldwestgunsmith.com seems to think he can fix the barrel jacket to head problem, but he has to see the
gun