Remington Model 8 Military & Trials Rifles

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
remcrazy

Remington Model 8 Military & Trials Rifles

Post by remcrazy »

Hello Guys!

I am trying to find more pictures and information on the Model 8 Military & Trials rifles. I got quite interested in SIGHTHOUND's pictures and explanation of how he made his mock rifles! I have emailed him to converse about these, such a wonderful fella! I have his pictures and information and what little is in Henwoods book. Still, not a great deal to go by. Can anyone furnish more information, pictures or possible sources? Also needed are pictures/information on the particular sights, bands & swivels for these rifles. Anything would be of wonderful help.

Retirement is great and affords us old guys time to do these fun projects! Also gives us something to look forward too! Having the opportuinty to build mock rifles for wall hangers and conversation pieces would be great fun!

Please contact me direct at: "circlebranch@cox.net"

Thanks and kindest regards!
Remcrazy
45guy

Re: Remington Model 8 Military & Trials Rifles

Post by 45guy »

There were a few shots of them on Extreme Marksmen last night. I'll see if I can capture the stills.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
45guy

Post by 45guy »

There is film of two gentlemen on the firing line at the 34 minute mark of the show. They appear to be stock model 8's other than the tangent rear sights.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Just for conversations purposes, here is my read on the TV pic:

Based on the pics I've seen of the "trial rifle" these do not appear to be that: there does not appear to be extra wood around the barrel for the "full stock military rifle" nor finger grooves in the forearm for the other "trial" version.

If I had to guess, I'd say they are shooting a model 81 probably in 300 Savage sometime in the 50's - when the military was considering that round (before using it to create the 308) and they were testing different rifles. :?:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

I doubt that's early 1920's video. To me those forearms looks like Model 81 but it's hard to tell. Also the angle of their grip is definitely not a straight grip Model 8, again it looks like Model 81. The uniform and cape across the back of their shoulders would that be reminiscent of the U.S. Navy? Any Navy guys?

Love the picture, wish I knew the source of the original film.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Also,

Pete Verschneider has a Trial's rifle. It is missing the extended forearm w/ barrel band but pictures of it can be found under the gallery section.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
45guy

Post by 45guy »

I'm just looking at the shape of the rear sight. It looks identical to the full stocked target model 8.
imfuncity

Re: Gallery Section

Post by imfuncity »

I thought I had read/looked at everything on our forum but I must have missed something because I don't remember a "gallery section". Where do I find it? Specifically the pics of Pete's "trial" rifle. Thanks
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Mitch,

The Gallery is on the home page. It is in the fist section. Instead of logging on, go directly to the table of contents and you will find it listed. I'm sure you have just overlooked it, because I have seen your comments about other articles in the table of contents.

Jack
tfwoodie

Post by tfwoodie »

I just ordered this package of manuals on the 8/81 which included a booklet on sights. I have not received my copies yet, so I don't know how helpful it would be. I checked and the offer is up on Gunbroker again. Here is the link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =175273034
I still haven't figured out how to get the bolt unstuck from it's 1/2 open position on my newly acquired 81!! I posted the problem in the welcome wagon section last weekend. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks