What are these two "spots" on the receiver?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
9.3shooter

What are these two "spots" on the receiver?

Post by 9.3shooter »

I see these two spots, perhaps screws on the left receiver side on the upper portion about in line with the barrel port. I dont believe these are mount screw holes. On some guns they look like spot welds.
So what gives?
Here is a pic.
pix726408135.jpg
pix726408135.jpg (109.79 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
They are hard to see in this pic but just above and aft of the large forward screw the two faint spots are seen.
Fred

Re: What are these two "spots" on the receiver?

Post by Fred »

They're rivets that hold a piece of metal in place on the inside of the receiver. That piece of metal depresses a lever in the bolt carrier that allows the bolt to rotate at the appropriate time as part of the "autoloading" operation.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Thanks for that info! Its odd that I only see this on some rifles, not all.
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

If you look closely on all 8/81s, you'll see the pins. Some are still hidden better by the bluing... and others with more wear are more visible. I have a Model 8 with three separate factory repair stamps. I'll bet that one of the trips back to the factory was to replace that bolt lock activation ramp in the receiver because the two pins are nice and shiny and clearly visible.
9.3shooter

Post by 9.3shooter »

Good to know, thanks! :D
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

If you look along the bottom edge of the same side you'll see 3 more dots. Dependent upon how keen your eyes are, or the condition of your blued finish.