Barrel lock and Barrel lock spring

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Superimposed

Barrel lock and Barrel lock spring

Post by Superimposed »

Could someone explain the function of the barrel lock and spring. I have disassembled my Model 81 .35 cal (1939) having refinished the butt stock and decided disassemble the receiver while at it for a through cleaning and lube. I have misplaced the barrel lock spring (probably threw it out with the rags) and have ordered a barrel lock w/spring on ebay. My next purchase will be a magnetic parts tray as suggested on many u-tube videos. How well is the spring retained on the barrel lock? I see the notches that the spring sets in, but does the spring fall out easily? I honestly don't remember the spring and why it would seperate from the barrel lock. Thanks, :o
cantgrowup

Re: Barrel lock and Barrel lock spring

Post by cantgrowup »

The little flat springs on the barrel lock and on the magazine indicator are both easily removed with a push punch. They are not crimped into place, and yours could have easily fallen out if the slot was looser than normal. Yes, a magnetic pan is an essential for working on Model 8/81s !

Even though I own 11 of these rifles, and have completely disassembled each one, I still am not sure exactly how the Browning long recoil action works.... I've read the descriptions... partially studied the parts, but it's still not completely clear to me how it works.... Quite well, obviously! :)
Hcompton79

Post by Hcompton79 »

This may help visualize the parts interaction:

https://youtu.be/hisyNvnaoio?t=1063
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hcompton79,

Thank you for providing the link. It is one of the best videos I have seen showing the operation of the model 8. I wish that I had seen it 40 years ago. It certainly helps to explain haw the rifle’s internals are suppose to work.

Regards,

jack1653
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

That is an excellent animation of the Model 8/81 long recoil action! Thanks.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

High Fives to ya Hcompton79 for posting that video link. As others have said, one of the best (if not thee best) animation's of a 8/81 action in operation. Wish I had seen this also when I first started shooting my first 81. As much as I scoured the web looking for 8/81 how to and any and all info on the models, I don't know how this one slipped through the cracks----maybe hadn't been posted then.

Had problems with internals, found several video's that showed the 8/81 action in operation, but nothing like this one. I stood at my bench alot staring at my assembled and disassembled 81 action and parts visualizing how it worked and how each part interacted with each other, got through it, but this would have really helped. Thanks again------needed viewing for all and especially anyone taking down a 8/81.
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

This superb animation was apparently hiding in plain sight, buried deep inside an hour-long video from two WWI service weapon aficionados about how Model 8's were never used by ground troops in the Great War ....and only sparingly by some biplane aircrews. :lol: