model 81 problem retracting the bolt handle

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
danny58

model 81 problem retracting the bolt handle

Post by danny58 »

I hope that being a site devoted to 8/81 rifles someone has encountered this problem. When retracting the bolt handle the first 1/2" takes a great deal of pressure. once the lugs rotate the rifle works satisfactory. loads, shoots and extracts, locks on the last round. Also when installing the barrel it is necessary to depress the barrel lock through the loading port to slide the barrel fully in to position. I have ordered a replacement barrel lock and spring thinking this is what is binding things up.
danny58

Re: model 81 problem retracting the bolt handle

Post by danny58 »

I am also wondering if the problem could be in the bolt lock being worn and not releasing? hopefully an experienced model 8/81 guy will chime in here .
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey danny58,

I have experienced this issue several times. I have found in most cases this is a result of the rifle not being clean. The fact that the rifle will function, but with some difficulty when moving the bolt manually tells me that the rifle needs a good cleaning and lubrication.

You can do this fairly easily and it can be accomplished in just a few minutes. If you haven’t taken the rifle down or apart, you may want to refer to some of the threads that show videos on how to do this. To do it without referring to videos, remove the forearm, and take the barrel assembly off of the receiver. Once the barrel assembly is off the rifle, you can remove the bolt by removing the bolt handle. Once you remove the bolt handle you can push the bolt out of the receiver. It is not necessary to take the bolt apart to clean it unless it is really gummed up. Give the bolt a good cleaning and spray some Rem-oil or any good lubricant freely on the bolt components. Wipe off excess and reassemble.

Good luck and let us know how you did.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
danny58

Post by danny58 »

thank you for the reply.... I own two model 8's and have stripped them both %100 keeping them clean and running flawlessly. This one came to me (81) in .35 rem with a broken firing pin and mangled firing pin spring. the barrel was partially un screwed because the barrel lock was positioned so high it would not allow the barrel seat fully I had to pushed down on the barrel lock through the loading/ejection port to seat the barrel fully in the action. the bolt had rotated horizontally before it had entered the chamber. pretty much a mess..after replacing the firing pin and spring. cleaning and freeing up the cams, I rotating the bolt to vertical locked position. seated the barrel fully in the action and re assembled the parts in correct order. It seemed to cycle correctly empty. Load , fire and eject. lock open on the last round. the final test was to cycle loaded ammo through it..thats when the bolt refused to open and pull the barrel back with it. after firing the round it ejected and locked open as it should. and cycles properly empty?? maybe the ammo..ill try a different brand.. I have a barrel lock on order it seem wore quite a bit.

.with out pushing it down through the loading/ejection port. i replaced the firing pin and spring. cleaning lubing and making sure the cams worked free and easy.
danny58

Post by danny58 »

Jacks post got me thinking. although I had disassembled and carefully cleaned and re assembled the bolt and receiver parts, installed a firing pin and spring , this new to me .35 Rem non working rifle.. I realized I had forgot about the chamber!!! OMG..81 yrs of crud. After a good soak then brushing and light polishing it functions perfectly! Thank you Jack my brain was in neutral... its also the 90% problem for 742's. and test with factory ammo. Just because it functions in my 760 35 Rem. doesn't mean its going to be right for this auto.