Model 8 Action Spring

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Rifleman

Model 8 Action Spring

Post by Rifleman »

A few years back I was watching a Utube video made by a guy called Mixup98. Video labeled 'Remington Model 8 Semi-Auto Rifle-How to Disassemble'. Very good video, learned alot about the 8/81 watching it umpteen times when I was having cycling problems with my first 300 Savage 81. The problems I had were a pain, but a plus as it educated me very much on the rifle.

Anyway in the video when the guy was disassembling the model 8 and when he reassembling, I noticed that there wasn't a action spring tube on the 8's receiver as was with my model 81, but pictures here and there of other 8's showed the metal action tube attached to the rear of the receiver, which of course went into the stock. When the 'guy' reassembled, he just put the action spring into what appeared nothing but a hole in the stock for the spring.

I've always been curious about this, but haven't seen anything written or any other video's referring to this. Question! Did early Model 8's just have a round channel in the stock for the action spring to sit in and the metal tube added later. I've searched Henwoods book and other info on this and haven't seen anything.

On page 15 of Henwoods book it has a picture of Model 8 early parts. The receiver has the metal tang showing, but no tube attached or nothing showing in the balance of the parts. By page 24 a picture shows all of the parts of a 8 indicating they are 'late model 8 parts' with a tube attached to the receiver tang. Curious, if Remington didn't have the action spring tubes in early rifles, when did they start with them. Would have figured Henwood would have made mention of this. Maybe I'm missing it somewhere in the book. Just curious!!!!
Rifleman

Re: Model 8 Action Spring

Post by Rifleman »

:shock: Must be the 'stump' question of the month, guess no one knows!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

It would be my opinion that there was suppose to be a spring tube in the receiver. I would bet that if you could check the receiver, you would find that there are theads in the receiver to accept the tube. My guess is that the rifle was shipped with a tube and someone removed it. The reason for removal may have been due to damage of the tube and the rifle could function without the tube. Strictly a guess on my part. I have disassembled more than 225 of the model 8 and 81 and all have had the spring tube.

Regards,

jack1653
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

OK-Got curious about the video. I'll admit I hadn't watched the video for some time. All I could remember was when the guy in the video separated the stock and receiver, the action spring really popped out and there wasn't a action spring tube on the receiver. I remember when the video guy reassembled, he put the spring into the stock and had big problems in putting the receiver and stock as they should be due to the spring not compressing. I recall when I disassembled my first 81, the spring didn't pop out as in the video and I didn't have the reassembly problems the video guy did.

Got curious and tonight rewatched the video I posted. When the Model 8 was disassembled, the spring really popped out as the stock and receiver were separated and he did pull a steel tube out of the stock that wasn't attached to the receiver. Upon reassembly, the video guy put the steel tube into the stock, followed by the action spring, but still had the same problems I remembered in getting it compressed. It had been probably two years since I watched this video and the several times I did watch it back then was when I first tore into a 8/81 type rifle. I didn't recall the steel tube, just the spring popping out and the problems the guy had in getting the spring to compress. I do recall not having the problems the video guy did and noticed at that time my 81 had the steel tube attached to the receiver and in watching other 8/81 dis/reassemble videos, all the 8's did have the spring tube attached. Thought at the time maybe early 8's didn't have a spring tube (forgetting the unattached one in the 8 of the video I watched).

Need to half apologize, but the 8 in the video I watched did appear to have some years on it compared to later ones I've seen-just had that look of more age. I've always thought maybe early 8's didn't have the tube as later ones had and 81's. My conclusion after watching the video again tonight is that as you posted 'jack' that the tube must have been damaged at the joint with the receiver at some time and never repaired, just put into the stock and had the spring inserted.

I did take another look at the early Rem factory parts list on page 15 of Henwoods book and the receiver doesn't have a tube attached, nor is there a picture of one. I did find that on the list, #4 is listed as the spring tube, but no picture. On page 24, the Rem parts listing/pictures noted as a later Model 8 does show the receiver with tube attached and the tube is listed as #5 in the listing. All what I just noted is why I thought possibly early 8's didn't have the spring tube and were a later added part. Hey, what can I say, but my novice eyes several years ago had a suspicion that I've always been curious about and couldn't find anything mentioning no tube on early 8's, but added later. :oops: :D
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I have number 59 which is a first day production in 1906 and it has a spring tube.
Regards,

jack1653
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

jack1653 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:58 pm I have number 59 which is a first day production in 1906 and it has a spring tube.
Regards,

jack1653
Well that answers that 100% plus, can't get much earlier than "first day production"! :D Thank you 'jack'. :D
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I agree with Jack (always), the only one I ever found without the action spring tube was from a "Stripper". My only spare went to the restore project. The wood plug is equally hard to find.
Phyrbird
SOKY