Repair date vs manufacture date - Please help

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Trepang

Repair date vs manufacture date - Please help

Post by Trepang »

Just picked up a Model 8 - my first one.

I have read how to date it by the stamp on the left side of the barrel and the serial number but I am still confused.

The serial number on the bottom of the receiver is 47190 which as I understand it makes it a 1921 model.

The left side of the barrel is stamped "WTT3" which as I understand it is a repair code indicating the rifle was repaired by Remington in August 1948.

When Remington stamped a repair code, what became of the original date code stamp?

Lastly, on the left side of the barrel, under the "WTT3" are two characters. The first is clearly a "P" and the second digit I can't be sure of but it may be an "N".

Any help deciphering this would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Model 8 date code.jpg
Model 8 date code.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Model 8 Serial number.jpg
Model 8 Serial number.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Model 8 barrel stamp.jpg
Model 8 barrel stamp.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
81police

Re: Repair date vs manufacture date - Please help

Post by 81police »

Date codes were not present on rifles prior to 1921. So...

If yours is indeed stamped "PN" then your rifle was manufactured June, 1922. And subsequently repaired on the date you indicated via the repair code.

When present always date the rifles via the date code.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Thanks, I really appreciate the help - evidently my reading comprehension skills are lacking today.

When I read "These are the last serial numbers for each year of production for the Model 8"

The whole LAST serial number part went over my head - I was reading that as the first serial number of that year.

Thanks again for straightening me out - its a 1922 model.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Trepang: According to Henwood in his Rem 8/81 book on Model 8 exterior markings, the 'trefoil' (sort of a three leaf pattern) on the trigger plate and just above it on the receiver, another 'trefoil', are the fitters stamps. The circled N above the serial number is the assemblers mark. In Henwoods book on data from the Remington plant, these markings fall in line with the 1922 year of manufacturer for your Model 8 and its production date markings. In fact the 'trefoil' and 'Circled N' fall in line with alot of 8's made during the time period from around 1918 through the end of 1922 of known Model 8's with matching serial numbers and left side production codes. Just passin on a bit of history on your 8.
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Rifleman wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm Trepang: According to Henwood in his Rem 8/81 book on Model 8 exterior markings, the 'trefoil' (sort of a three leaf pattern) on the trigger plate and just above it on the receiver, another 'trefoil', are the fitters stamps. The circled N above the serial number is the assemblers mark. In Henwoods book on data from the Remington plant, these markings fall in line with the 1922 year of manufacturer for your Model 8 and its production date markings. In fact the 'trefoil' and 'Circled N' fall in line with alot of 8's made during the time period from around 1918 through the end of 1922 of known Model 8's with matching serial numbers and left side production codes. Just passin on a bit of history on your 8.
Thank you again Sir!