Front sight blade OA height

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
soldierblue

Front sight blade OA height

Post by soldierblue »

Hello All-
I have recently come into possession of a 1940 M81 in 300 SAV. Someone has installed a Lyman 41R rear peep on it and a hybridized two piece front sight of extra height to correspond with the rear sight. Trouble is, the blade is so thin I cannot determine the top edge of the sight against the target and I get less than optimum accuracy from the rifle. I would like to source a thicker blade sight of the correct height to try to alleviate the problem. I am guessing that whoever changed the sights was going for the FBI effect, but I cannot find any detailed data on the front sight on those rifles. Does anyone here have any good info on this? I would sure appreciate any help as I don't know where else to look. Thanks for your help.
Wildgoose

Re: Front sight blade OA height

Post by Wildgoose »

All of my model 8/81 rifles have rear tang sights installed. On most of them the front sights are Marbles brass bead type. These have worked for me very well. I would suggest that you start looking at this type of sight for your rifle. They are fairly thick and the brass bead shows up well on most backgrounds. As these are mostly vintage items measure the dove tail fit and the desired height and start looking. Lyman as well as Marbles made a wide assortment of aftermarket sights for these rifles. E-Bay is a good place to find parts and sights.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Cam Woodall put me onto this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002APM8AS/ ... _lig_dp_it

It's not original, but Very Visible.... 8-) ;)
Phyrbird
SOKY
soldierblue

Post by soldierblue »

Hey Guys-
Thanks for the replies. I am going to try a .380 sight first, but I am not sure what the results will be as the Lyman 41R will not deflect below the top of the receiver. I have read that rifles equipped with this rear sight require the use of a taller front sight. I have seen no reference as to that particular dimension. Midway has Marble's line of sights reasonably priced, so I'll start there. Thanks again.