First Year Remington Autoloading Rifle, .35, Front Sight and Rear Sight, tapped sight mount holes questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
stopsevencharles

First Year Remington Autoloading Rifle, .35, Front Sight and Rear Sight, tapped sight mount holes questions

Post by stopsevencharles »

Hello,

I have owned this first year production Remington Autoloading Rifle in the 1400 serial number range since 2013:

Do all model 8's and Autoloaders have a rivet holding on the front sight? Also, the rear sight on mine appears to have a slot where you would be able to slide in an insert and a set screw hole for it to be held in place. Was this feature not included in the later runs of production? Can I find original or reproduction peep hole inserts for the rear sight anywhere today?

For what it's worth, I was at the original Remington factory in Ilion, NY last year and they have a museum featuring a lot of the guns and their prototypes. The "tool room" prototype and "pattern gun" models they had on display had much higher serial numbers than mine and seemed to lack many of the earliest features (safety lever nub, hand scripted caliber markings on barrel shank).

The front sight was basically stolen from me by an unscrupulous gunsmith years ago when I went to him to fix the front sight being loose and he completely replaced it without consulting me and did not return the original to me. I asked him several times to return it and he just stalled saying he couldn't find it and he wasn't sure it he kept it.

Right now the 2nd replacement front sight since then has come loose yet again and I would really like to come up with the best solution. Here is a picture of what I'm working with:

I also really want to know whats up with the slot and set screw hole in the rear sight (potentially for an insert?)

Also, on the left side of the receiver, there are three tapped screw holes presumably for some kind of side mounted scope or peep sight mount. The three holes form a constellation around the pin for the pivoting safety lever on the other side. From what I can tell this was for some kind of lyman rear peep sight? Where can I get one of those (seeing as I've already got the holes to mount one)?

This picture from the website seems to correspond to the holes on my own firearm:

Thanks for your consideration.
81police

Re: First Year Remington Autoloading Rifle, .35, Front Sight and Rear Sight, tapped sight mount holes questions

Post by 81police »

Hi there, great questions...

1) the front sight block was historically brazed on. I've never seen the block sold separately from a complete barrel jacket. If they're found removed, it's usually from adjusting / replacing the front sight using too much hammer and not a front sight pusher.
*sight parts, front sight and/or rear sight can often be found watching auction sites like ebay or gunbroker

2) the hole in the rear sight was for a sight insert.

3) the 3 hole pattern in your receiver was for mounting a Lyman 41 receiver sight. These can occasionally be found on auction sites as well, they're usually quite expensive.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Re: First Year Remington Autoloading Rifle, .35, Front Sight and Rear Sight, tapped sight mount holes questions

Post by Phyrbird »

S7C,
Maybe I can help. Got an Xtra front sight base, likely NOS. Is your barrel jacket round or ground flat from the Goobersmith? A factory base is round to fit the barrel jacket.
Front sight base.jpg
Front sight base.jpg (25.53 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Also got the Lyman 41AT receiver sight in the Fleabay bin. In better than usual shape. (@95%)
Sorry I'm out of the rear sights right now. That insert is a bear to clean & get useful, most are froze in place after a century.
Warning: check the auction prices, if you can find them, B4 asking how much. Some of these vintage parts are close to the cost of a rifle in value. Especially those used on alphabet soup government agencies. The Lyman 41AT was.

Carlsandage@yahoo.com
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

Carl with the HOOKUP!!!! Phyrbird on FIRE
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
stopsevencharles

Post by stopsevencharles »

Thank you for your responses!

I have been trying to find ANY example of the rear sight inserts on the internet and cannot find even a scrap of information about it. My own rifle did not come with an insert installed although aiming without one has always worked fine for me. I would be very eager to get my hands on one to try it. Is there a way to phrase my internet search that will yield better results?

When my original front sight came loose, it seemed to be pivoting on a loose rivet. Looking at the jacket with the front sight, I see what looks like a rivet hole - is that present on later Model 8 production? If so, what is that hole's function if not for a front sight rivet?

While a Lyman rear sight would be a cool addition, I can see that they are a bit pricey and I am more focused on getting the best solution to fixing the front sight to make the rifle functional again.

These are really cool guns and I feel very lucky to have picked up a very early example at a decent price. Unfortunately as far as I can tell, the tapped receiver, the now missing original front sight, laquered stock, chipped toe, and cracked fore end really ding its value in general, but I'm not a big time collector or trader, just an enthusiast of old guns.