.32 reload questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
jim18611865

.32 reload questions

Post by jim18611865 »

I am going to load a few more for my Model 81 since I have a little time. A made a few last night and ordered 150 cases from Grafs.

My big question is I have never seen crimp specs. When I full length resize it already measures about what the factory Remingtons I have measure. There is no noticeable crimp on mine, but there is on the factory ammo. Seating the bullets isn't difficult or too easy. I tried plunking several rounds tonight in the barrel as if it were a 1911. Seems very close to the factory rounds.

Another question is trim length. All my cases are under. Will I ever need to trim?

Lastly, has anyone liked or disliked the Grafs cases in .32?

It has been a few years since I shot the gun, but all went pretty well the first set of reloads.

Thanks

Jim
kenhwind

Re: .32 reload questions

Post by kenhwind »

Loading the .32 Remington shouldn't present any problems. I had a .32 barrel assembly and loaded some up, but have parted with the barrel assembly.

I crimp by feel. you should be able to visually see how much crimp you have. You cannot over crimp because it will push the shoulder back. Loading for an autoloader a crimp is probably a good idea, and you'll have to judge for yourself hw much you need.

What dies are you using?

The Graf's brass is okay. It is more then likely Quality Cartridge brass. I've use the Graf brass for the .32, as mentioned, as well as the .25, and .30 Rem.

The only reason to trim would be too make the cases the same length and probably after shooting them the first time. The Lee Case Length Gauge is a handy way to do that, but you will have to order one for the .32 Remington from Lee.
KEN
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

Ken,

I have the Redding dies.
Two die set.
Loading so far is OK just slower than I am used to.
I should set this up on my Dillon but I would have to resize/deprime/tumble first.
Once that is done, the single stage isn't that hard anyway.

Jim
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Redding dies, good for you, that's what I have.

I don't load rifle ammo on the Dillon, the Dillon powder measure doesn't like extruded powder, well no powder measure does.

I use a Redding T-7 Turret press, previously used an older Lyman Spar T.

Lyman makes an "M" die that makes a three die set and it expands the case neck slightly and aids in seating flat based bullets.
KEN
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

I read somewhere that you were not supposed to flare a rifle case mouth like a pistol case.
I am not flaring mine at all. Bullets are going in without issue.
I just don't know if they are snug enough that they don't move under recoil.
I would really like to seat on one step and crimp in another. I suppose I could just get another die.
I will just have to test once the club reopens.
Thanks again.

Jim
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

The Lyman "M" die doesn't actually flare the case mouth it has a step in it and expands the very top of the case.

Redding sells a spacer kit. Seat the bullet with the spacer then remove the spacer and crimp, but you will have to unscrew the seating die. Yes unless you're taper crimping it is best to seat then crimp. Set the die to crimp, then put the spacer under the die lock ring, seat, remove spacer then crimp.

An extra die could be acquired but you'd probably have to order direct from Redding as I doubt in anyone stocks individual dies un .32 Remington although Graf & Sons might.

I find that no matter what I do the dies always seem to need minor adjustments, except the sizing die, that is.
KEN
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

I never saw the need or understood why people bought turret presses.
I do now.

Jim
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I started loading using a CH Press my parents had bought for me.
My brother had a Lyman Spartan press.

He decided we needed a Dillon which was new at the time and we ended up with a used press. He moved up to Saint Augustine and I was still in Ft Lauderdale, FL.

I then bought a hardly used Lyman Spar-T reloading set. I asked my brother for a specific die and he sent down everything. I used that Spar=T for years. Someone gave my uncle another Dillon 550 so I have both.

On a whim I decide I wanted a new press. Brownell's had the Redding T-7 on sale which put it in the sale price range as a new Lyman Turret press. I like Lyman products but for a few dollars difference I went with the Redding. A turret press is the only way to go imo, compared to a single stage press.

I have two turrets one is set up for 30-06, the other has no dies in it. If I had one complaint about the Redding is that the detent ball isn't captive and that makes switching dies a minor hassle.
KEN