Model 8 peep sight questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Bullitt

Model 8 peep sight questions

Post by Bullitt »

Hi all, I picked up an early production Model 8 a while back, and it looks like there was a peep sight mounted on the receiver at some point in its history. There are two screw holes on the rear of the receiver, and the wear pattern on the finish suggests something was mounted there.

I'd like to put a peep sight back on this thing. Can anyone tell me what sight this hole pattern might correspond to?
Attachments
Model 8 receiver.jpg
Model 8 receiver.jpg (345.52 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Roger

Re: Model 8 peep sight questions

Post by Roger »

Sir, It’s probably a red field. Watch eBay and gunbroker . They pop up from time to time. I’ve had several over the years. I don’t have any right now that I would sell.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Yes looks like for the Redfield.
No body is giving them away.
KEN
Bullitt

Post by Bullitt »

Thanks for the help, guys. I was also leaning towards it being the Redfield based on the bit of research I had done. Shame all the peep sights for the Model 8 are so expensive these days.
Maynard Shooter

Post by Maynard Shooter »

Here is one on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Marble ... Sw~KxehiKW
Three companies made these peep sights, Refield model R8, Marble model R6 and Lyman model1-A AT. This information is from Nick Stroebel's book "Old gun sights and rifle scopes" Heres a picture of my grand father's
with 35Remington Model 8.jpg
with 35Remington Model 8.jpg (446.21 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Attachments
Marble Peep large web.jpg
Marble Peep large web.jpg (143.08 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
Marble Peep 3 email.jpg
Marble Peep 3 email.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Lyman and Marbles made a tang sight that used the existing hole where the tang becomes the receiver.
Redfield made a more correctly named receiver sight which required a second hole be drilled and tapped like the OP's gun.
Williams also made a receiver sight, more then likely after WWII. This sight required two additional holes to be drilled.

I mounted a Williams FP-81 on a Model 81, but the rifle all ready had three holes drilled in the side of the receive and the overall condition wasn't a concern. We had another 81 and I just could not drill holes in that one.

I also mounted a Redfield on a Model 8 that has replacement wood and again condition was good but not a concern.

A lot of the Remington's were modified over the years if yours has a hole or holes in it, by all means try to find the part that fits.
KEN