Model 8 - What is this?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
81police

Model 8 - What is this?

Post by 81police »

Received a parts gun today. What do you guys make of this custom dovetailed sight/scope mount? Any idea what it might have been for? I've never seen anything like it.

Notice you can see the bolt carrier (w/out extractor) through the groove, I'm surprised there wasn't any rubbing during cycling, but I checked the bolt carrier and there's no wear marks. You never can tell what you'll find with these old spring poles :roll:

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Silvermino

Re: Model 8 - What is this?

Post by Silvermino »

Hi Cam,

That rifle wouldn't happen to have a hard rubber butt plate that you might be interested in selling would it?

John
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

That's bizarre. Though, I'd love to see the sight that went in that. That took a lot of work. What were they thinking?
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Loren in MN

Post by Loren in MN »

Looks like it had 4 screws giving pressure on the mount to tighten the dovetail. Someone possibly added a homemade peepsight.
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

I may be wrong, but I think it's a slot for a receiver mounted peep sight. Does the gunhave a relatively high front sight. A higher front sight was necessary if a receiver mounted peep was installed.

Shoot straight!