sighting issue

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
60DRB

sighting issue

Post by 60DRB »

I'm trying to get my 1927 in .30 Rem. to settle...

-Rear sight is the Marble's R6 and the front is a Lyman 5B folding sight.
-Using my reloads with new brass (30-30 loading info), seems to operate fine. Bullet impacts are scattered, about 12' pattern at 100 yards.

1st. The front sight is loose in the dovetail. What is the best way to tighten this? Also, what is the purpose/usage for the post/bead versus the post/ring on this?
2nd. Not that familiar with the tang peep sight. The elevation adjustment seems simple enough... How is windage adjustment accomplished?
kenhwind

Re: sighting issue

Post by kenhwind »

There is a couple of ways to seat the front sight:
One is with Locktite, but then you cannot move it.
The other it to dimple the bottom of the front sight with a center punch.
If someone drove the sight out to the left it mau have opened up the dovetail cut in the sight base.

When using an aperture type sight, either a tang sight or receiver sight, you center the front sight bead in the aperture. In this cse I assume you'd line up both sights.
Windage is adjustable using the front sight.
KEN
Kootenay52

Post by Kootenay52 »

I have taken the front sight out and put a very thin piece of plastic (like paper thin) under the dovetail of the front sight and then reinstalled the front sight. This has worked well for me in the past. Laminate plastic material comes in different thicknesses. I simply found a thickness that was enough to tighten things up.
Cheers, Bill.
60DRB

Post by 60DRB »

...dove tail opened up. Yes, that is the situation. While trying to adjust L/R at 100 yards the front sight came right out, the left side. I'll try shimming. I've heard foil might also work for shim material. We shall see.

What exactly is the purpose of the ring versus open post front sight?

It would be nice if the tang sight could be adjusted for windage. Some peep sights are made to do that.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I agree @ the plastic, just not the source. Many machine tool suppliers can sell plastic shim stock in various thicknesses down to about .002. It's Great & it is very stable for these applications....
Try it, comes in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, affordable too...
Phyrbird
SOKY
Kootenay52

Post by Kootenay52 »

Phyrbird wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:19 pm I agree @ the plastic, just not the source. Many machine tool suppliers can sell plastic shim stock in various thicknesses down to about .002. It's Great & it is very stable for these applications....
Try it, comes in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, affordable too...
Sounds good ....I will give that a try next time
Long Recoil

Post by Long Recoil »

The ring sight is called an aperture sight. They allow for much more accurate shooting than open sights. They do this by increasing sight radius and making sight alignment easier. The eye naturally will align an object in the center of a circle because it is brightest there.

Because the aperture sight is better than the open sight I set the windage for it by adjusting the front sight. Then hopefully windage is still on for the open sight so it can be used if necessary.

If the mid barrel sight is not in the way I then set its elevator for a small game load.