Rem Model 8 Serial numbers

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Kootenay52

Rem Model 8 Serial numbers

Post by Kootenay52 »

I can find the serial number for my Model 8 on the underside of the receiver. Is there any other place that I can look to see if there is matching serial numbers??
Thanks.
jack1653

Re: Rem Model 8 Serial numbers

Post by jack1653 »

A couple areas come to mind. Remove the stock to expose the tangs. You will find a serial number on the side of the tang. The stock should have a serial number stamped in the upper tang slot. Remove the butt plate and often there is a serial number on it. Removing the barrel assembly will expose serial numbers on the end next to the receiver. Sometimes there will be a serial number stamped in the forearm. Hope this helps.

Regards,

jack1653
Kootenay52

Post by Kootenay52 »

jack1653 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:17 am A couple areas come to mind. Remove the stock to expose the tangs. You will find a serial number on the side of the tang. The stock should have a serial number stamped in the upper tang slot. Remove the butt plate and often there is a serial number on it. Removing the barrel assembly will expose serial numbers on the end next to the receiver. Sometimes there will be a serial number stamped in the forearm. Hope this helps.

Regards,

jack1653
Well I got the rifle all apart......there is a lot of crud in there......doesn't look like it has been cleaned in many many years. I did find all of the serial number markings and they do match....which is great. Any suggestions on how to get all the crud off?? I am using Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool. It seems to do a good job.....gonna take some time. So far there are no broken parts.....or ones that seem to need replacing. I hope this all goes back together as easily as it came apart.
......Bill.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Soaking in a good reliable solvent like Hoppes is good. I have also used a small brass brush for tight areas to avoid wearing the finish. I like the 0000 steel wool too (gently) as it is used to card during blueing process. The 0000 can eventually wear thru a finish. I have a old Tee shirt soaked in Browning gun oil that sees more service than any steel wool or wire brush, proactive ya know...
Phyrbird
SOKY
Kootenay52

Post by Kootenay52 »

Phyrbird wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:04 pm Soaking in a good reliable solvent like Hoppes is good. I have also used a small brass brush for tight areas to avoid wearing the finish. I like the 0000 steel wool too (gently) as it is used to card during blueing process. The 0000 can eventually wear thru a finish. I have a old Tee shirt soaked in Browning gun oil that sees more service than any steel wool or wire brush, proactive ya know...
I don't have to worry too much about the finish as there is none. The blueing is 90-95% gone. Just some tough spots of built up old "lacquer" in the internal receiver that I still need to remove. I will have another go here in a bit.
Cheers,Bill.