250 Savage in a Model 8/81 Remington: could this work?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Adam Lee

250 Savage in a Model 8/81 Remington: could this work?

Post by Adam Lee »

ok i'm typing one handed today.
let's just say, i started my summer vacation with a complete rotator cuff surgical solution yesterday, and i'm not feeling like moving my left arm!

make this short for everyone: here's a direct copy & paste from a note I had, an idea been going thru my brain.....

thinking of 250 Savage in a Model 8/81 Remington: how could this work?
* use a 300 Savage bolt assembly, to duplicate case dimensions (diameter of case head)
* use a 25 Remington barrel, to retool the chamber profile to match the 250 Savage
* what must happen: fact-check this possibility - the original Savage 99 chambered in 250/3000 Sav was a 1/10 twist, later became 1/14 twist IIRC
* what is the twist on a 25 Rem barrel?

take care!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Re: 250 Savage in a Model 8/81 Remington: could this work?

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
From personal experience: rifle functioning is a result of momentum. Ie the recoil of the cartridge, if your 250 Sav has the momentum of the 300Sav it will open the bolt and chamber a new round, Wanna bet it's a lower momentum? Most likely the conversion will require cut down recoil, buffer, &/or main springs. All to tune for the difference in momentum. Jack may have some info from his carbine conversions by (forgot who did them).
Plus the 25R parts including the barrel are designed for the lower pressure. I haven't yet compared the dimensions of the 25 vs 300 barrels, but I imagine the 300 is more beefy.
I have seen online a few examples of the 300 converted for 308, in my opinion a dangerous process. Especially if someone is foolhardy enough to fire some of the surplus machine gun ammo. It has a way slower propellant & will create a serious watermelon.
Point is 250 Sav was designed for higher pressure (43000-44000CUP vs 31000-37000CUP for max loads) equipment and may be too much for our Ladies to stomach. One could for an instant see the point as the action is right in front of your face when the hammer falls.
Another way of saying I urge extreme caution for this idea. Perhaps even as far as some pressure transducer tests to verify the safety of the result.
Hope the shoulder goes well, DO YOUR therapy, It makes a difference.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

thanks for the reality check, carl!

by the way, i'm typing with one finger really slowly - for a reason!

day one post-op is almost over. tomorrow's gotta be better!

adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

Great words there Phyrbird ... or as our good friend Jim Woods (RIP) used to say firbird :o :shock: ;)

I can't add much to Carl's great response, other than a small company in the 1950's (I think) did conversions of 8/81's to 250-3000 Savage. They were nice, almost factory looking. But not popular, I've only ever seen 2 or 3 in my lifetime. Hard to beat the factory calibers offered...and they work! Well, most of the time :mrgreen:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator