Caution

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Superimposed

Caution

Post by Superimposed »

If you remove the barrel, operate the the bolt handle (cock the gun) and dry fire it, (not a good practice anyway as you can break the firing pin) you can be in for a big disappointment when you reassemble the rifle and operate the bolt release lever on the left side of the gun. The bolt closes with great energy and forward force. Keep your fingers out of the bolt path. If the bolt has turned on its cam and is out of its proper position, the spring force of closing the bolt will send the bolt knob further forward than intended and dent the receiver in front of the bolt handle. (You will hate yourself in the morning.) Always test the proper bolt alignment after disassembling and reassembling the rifle barrel, by manually lowering the bolt knob by providing hand resistance against the forward bolt thrust, assuring and testing that the bolt is in its proper cam alignment upon closing. You should relive the spring tension on the firing pin by closing the bolt in the above described way, pulling the trigger and maintaining trigger pull, when the bolt is halfway closed. If your bolt is out of alignment, rotate the bolt into proper position in the course of its travel as you manually lower the bolt with hand resistance on the forward travel of the bolt. Of course insure that the rifle is not loaded!
uhjohnson

Re: Caution

Post by uhjohnson »

my way is, always hold the bolt by hand, then depress the bolt release lever and let the bolt come in about 1/8-1/4 of an inch, then depress the trigger and alow the bolt (by hand) to close about 1/2 way, release the trigger and you will hear a click then pull the trigger again, you will hear another click, slowly aliow the bolt to move home. the firing pin is now released. i don't know if i am doing any damage to the sear but i am not dry firing.

The manual releasing of the bolt should be a sticky
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Superimposed,
I am not a gunsmith and only learned the tricks of these "springpoles" or "pogostick pop guns" if you will the hard way. I am glad to see others take the old girls apart and learn in the process.

Letting the bolt fly forward in the receiver without the barrel on it is a real bad thing. :shock: The spring in the tang can form a gordian knot inside the reciever. :shock: :x Not a real good thing. In a few cases the operating knob has been damaged. :shock: :x :oops:

I always pull the bolt back until it locks on the magazine then tie back the operating handle when I take a barrel assembly off of the reciever. I have seen the magazine trip and let the bolt go forward with lots of @#$%^&*. You get the idea!

If its any consolation, I had to buy a new spring about six months ago. My Dad had a receiver that did not have a barrel since 1948 and over the years, the bolt had tripped and and kinked the spring. The operating knob was missing, so I do not know what exactly happened.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
81police

Post by 81police »

great advice guys
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator