New owner

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Charlieb91

New owner

Post by Charlieb91 »

Hi guys, new here with several questions. I recently picked up a model 8 in 300 savage. It does have Remington repair marks dating to 1946, but according to research, that is no indicator of a factory conversion. The side markings on this rifle have been worn off, so there are no marks besides what is on the barrel to indicate original chambering. I have slugged the bore to determine whether it was originally in 30 Rem or 300 savage and the measurements were .300 lands and .308 grooves, so I'm guessing the barrel at least was 300 Sav. Are there any measurements or markings on the bolt that will indicate whether it is a 300 bolt? Also, is there any way I can tell whether or not my recoil/buffer springs have been changed? The only markings I've found on the extractor is a 30 on the underside. Is that an indicator that it was a 30 Rem? I've never seen them marked on the underside. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Update here, I've measured the buffer spring, and it mikes out to 2.15"
chas1949

Re: New owner

Post by chas1949 »

Is this rifle a model 8 as stated or a model 81. Model 8 production ceased in 1936 and never included 300 Savage. 300 Savage came about with the model 81.
The buffer spring length you mention is consistent with a 300 savage. However it sounds as though the rifle was originally a 30,32 or 25 caliber originally by the 30 marking on the extractor. I believe the 35 and 300 savage use a different extractor and bolt. Quite possibly the barrel assy has been swapped from the original. Do the serial numbers on the receiver and barrel jacket match.

Hope this info helps and is accurate.
Charlieb91

Post by Charlieb91 »

Ok, I double checked, the serial on the receiver is 31564, and the barrel jacket has the code KRR3, which I understand to be a May of 1946 repair code. I've checked the bolt face, it fits a 30-06 case rim with just the minutest fraction of wiggle room. What about barrel thickness and profile? Was that different between 300 and 30? What about bore diameter? I've read that the grooves on 30 Rem were most of the time .307, but I don't know if it's true or not. It appears to me as though this was a professional if not factory conversion. Are there any marks to look for on the bolt?
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Pull the forearm off and check for the last 3 digits of the receiver ser number stamped on left side of barrel jacket where break down screw goes through. Your serial number for receiver is for 1912 manufacture. All my M81s are marked this way.

If a 30-06 case fits into bolt face it is correct for the 300 savage barrel as both bases are .473 dia per Lee loading hand book. 25,30 and 32 use a bolt with a smaller face and different extractor than the 35 and 300.
Charlieb91

Post by Charlieb91 »

Thanks. Turns out the case was an 8x57 that fit, but that's neither here nor there I think. Sounds to me like I've got a properly converted model 8. Just need to check the headspace and I should be good to go. Kinda tempted to pick up a 35 Remington barrel and see if I can't get it to headspace. Love to do .25, .30, and .32 but that'll take a different bolt and buffer springs, and those things are pure unobtainium. Probably need other parts too, but I'm still in my infancy with these things. Honestly if I could get one of the others of my choice, it'd be the 25