Problem with Marbles R6 sight

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Brianich

Problem with Marbles R6 sight

Post by Brianich »

I have two model 8s. 25 cal made in 1922 and 35 cal made in 1911. Screw head that holds the Marbles sight on the 35 broke. To my surprise the screw from the 25 doesn't fit--too small.

The screw from the 35 doesn't seem to be a standard diameter. Between an 8 and a 10. We're these screws left up to whoever installed the sight? Called Marbles and they couldn't tell me anything.

Would appreciate any Info and help you can provide.

Thanks,
Brian
Wildgoose

Re: Problem with Marbles R6 sight

Post by Wildgoose »

Its been my experience that the original mounting screws were all the same. They are very hard to find and are an odd pitch. If one doesn't get the mounting screw along with the sight it can be a problem. I am wondering if the previous owner of your 35 might have had this problem and re-drilled the hole to a larger size and re-tapped it. That might be the why the original screw from your 25 is too small. Hard to say what the diameter and pitch are. Do you have the broken parts of the screw and can maybe figure out what it was? Another issue with using a non factory mounting replacement screw if you can find something that works is that the chamfer on the head and its length may not fit the chamfer on the sight. The fit up on the sight's chamfered hole and where the replacement screw bottoms out and tightens up are critical to the sight seating properly. If it isn't seated right it will not center up and will come loose when firing. I have run into these issues before in mounting a tang sight using replacement screws.
Brianich

Post by Brianich »

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Brian
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

From "Old Gun Sights" '98 ::

Marbles R6 sight screw size: Length .328 Head dia .250 Shank .181 Thread size: .182-40
(I finally found a reliable answer after 6yr)
Phyrbird
SOKY
Brianich

Post by Brianich »

Wow. Thanks for that. One of mine is .182 so the other is a replacement. But am I correct in thinking that the .182-40 is between a #8 and a #10. From the tables I've seen an 8 is .164 and 10 is .190 or thereabouts.

So what do you recommend? Drill and tap to the next size up, being mindful of the head shape as pointed out above?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Brian,
I suggest one of the following:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MOUNTING- ... 1438.l2649

or

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/product.s ... egoryId=31

Use care, for I personally know there are no more taps left. & somewhere on this site there is a reference to 3/16-40 threads. I've not had good luck with the ones I found.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Brianich

Post by Brianich »

Will check them out. Thanks.

Brian