Are Model 8s actually marked as such??

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
motorcarman

Are Model 8s actually marked as such??

Post by motorcarman »

I have 2 Remington Autoloading Repeating Rifles. One has a manufacture date of 1908 (SN 166xx) and the other 1911 (SN 247xx). I thought that they were Model 8s as of 1911.

No where on either is stamped anything about models. They are not stamped other than a serial number on the bottom of the receiver and a few proof marks.
The 1908 has a caliber 30 30 REM and the 1911 is marked 30 REM on the barrel.

Are these BOTH Pre-Model 8??????

Thanks for any replies.

bob
bob in rural Wise County Texas
81police

Re: Are Model 8s actually marked as such??

Post by 81police »

Hey Bob,

The official change from "Autoloading Rifle" to "Model 8" did occur in 1911, but that doesn't mean the rifles were all immediately marked as such. Some guns you'll see with "Model 8-A" roll stamped on the barrel jacket, others nothing, then eventually the roll stamp "MODEL 8" on the receiver became the standard.

In one sense it can be said the early guns are "Remington Autoloading Rifles" which they are, but from Remington's perspective they're ALL Model 8's. It's sorta like the 30-30Rem and the 30Rem. Though they're marked different it's true to say they're BOTH a 30 Remington!

Hope that helps! And congrats on your cool rifles!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
motorcarman

Post by motorcarman »

Well I guess the 1911 date (SN 247xx) is an early one also. The SN 247xx must have been returned to the factory for repair because the barrel jacket assy is marked "WRR3". It looks like it was repaired November 1946. I keep looking for Model 8s and Model 14s in 30 Rem because I converted hundreds of 30 WCF cases to 30 Rem.

I guess people sell them because ammo is not easily found.

Thanks for the info. I still want to see an actual Model 8 that is marked as such.

bob
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

IMG_3464   Mdl 8.JPG
IMG_3464 Mdl 8.JPG (77.68 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
motorcarman

Post by motorcarman »

Thanks for the PIC. Since I'm the only one I know that has any of these, (and mine are NOT marked as such) I appreciate the info.

Thank You AGAIN!!!!!

bob