Ejector

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
miwoods

Ejector

Post by miwoods »

Here is another newbie question:

Is the ejector on a model 8 supposed to be cut at an angle?

For all rifles I have worked with that utilize a plunger type ejector, the face of the ejector is parallel to the bolt face. The face of my ejector is wedge shaped, with the "point" of the wedge towards the firing pin hole, so that a fired case has a dimple in the edge of the primer from the "point".

Is this correct?

MIwoods
1907 32

Re: Ejector

Post by 1907 32 »

The golden rule for ALMOST all ejectors is they must have a positive angle. Which means in your case the ejector should have a slight angle towards the bolt face at the inside edge. Neutral is 90 degrees. Negative angle would have the inside edge away from the bolt face. Positive angle gives the best " bite" on the empty cartridge. Negative angle could leave the cartridge in the chamber or cause a stovepipe jamb. (cartridge pointing straight up with bolt closed on it.) Easy way to tell is to keep track of where your empty cartridges land. Slightly behind you or 90 degrees to your right means you have a good bite from your ejector. Slightly forward or in front of you means a weak ejecting gun which could lead to jamming.
1907 32

Re: Ejector vs extractor

Post by 1907 32 »

The my experience one of the most common mistakes people make is calling an ejector an extractor and an extractor an ejector. The " hook" that pulls the cartridge from the chamber is the extractor the spring loaded plunger or "bump" on the side of the frame or action is the ejector.