Model 8 25 Remington questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Gamemaster06

Model 8 25 Remington questions

Post by Gamemaster06 »

I've recently aquire a Model 8 in 25 Remington. Serial number is 32355. I have a few questions because there are some things that don't make sense to me about this gun and I need you guys expertise. First thing, is there is a "30" stamped on the bolt. My gun is chambered in 25. Did someone switch out the bolt or the barrel? Or did they use "30" bolts on some 25 guns? The next thing is, there are 3 characters stamped on the left side of the barrel, not the barrel jacket. The letters are "Y38". What do these letters mean? Third question is, when I took the butt plate off there is a "98" stamped on the butt plate and the stock. What does this number mean? Sorry for the long story but I'd really appreciate someone to shine some light on this for me. Hoping I didn't get screwed. I tried to upload some pictures but it wont let me, says the files are too big.
81police

Re: Model 8 25 Remington questions

Post by 81police »

Gamemaster06, great score! The 25's are certainly the most pleasant shooting of all the guns :D

To answer your questions...

there is a "30" stamped on the bolt. My gun is chambered in 25

You're looking at the extractor marked "30". For the 25, 30, and 32's you'll find the extractors either unmarked completely or marked "30". This is normal.

there are 3 characters stamped on the left side of the barrel, not the barrel jacket. The letters are "Y38
I've seen these markings before, I do not know exactly what they mean but they're normal as well.

when I took the butt plate off there is a "98" stamped on the butt plate and the stock

On many of the guns Remington would stamp a full or partial serial number into the buttplate and stock tang. It likely means your buttstock & buttplate belonged to another Model 8 with the last two digits of the serial number being 98.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Gamemaster06

Post by Gamemaster06 »

Awesome! Thanks alot for answering my questions, nobody else seemed to be able to give me straight answers. I really appreciate it.
Gamemaster06

Post by Gamemaster06 »

Just found out something else about my 8 today. When I disassembled it, i found the magazine has a different serial number than my gun. It starts with a 2. Is this a common occurrence?
81police

Post by 81police »

like any other rifle, all serial numbers should match on an all original Model 8. If you find a different serial number stamped on the magazine than what's on the gun, then the magazine is a replacement.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Gamemaster06 wrote:Just found out something else about my 8 today. When I disassembled it, i found the magazine has a different serial number than my gun. It starts with a 2. Is this a common occurrence?
I don't recall the magazine having a serial number. Is the number on the trigger assembly?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Gamemaster06

Post by Gamemaster06 »

Nope, stamped on the side of the magazine. There are no numbers stamped on the trigger assembly.
Gamemaster06

Post by Gamemaster06 »

This gun keeps getting stranger and stranger. Tore it down and cleaned it yesterday and during reassembly I noticed there was no spring on the barrel lock. Is this a saftey hazard? Did someone lose this spring? How does it affect function? I've fired the gun many a times and never had an issue.