.300 Savage/.35 Remington bolt questions for 'yalls

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Adam Lee

.300 Savage/.35 Remington bolt questions for 'yalls

Post by Adam Lee »

Afternoon gents!

While waiting for my dawgz to settle down, (they are now asleep :D ) I had a moment to think about a project 8/81 idea I have brewing.

I'd like to make my .300 Savage-barreled Model 81 Krieger "convertible" to a .35 Remington front half.
IIRC, the springs/bolt bodies are the same - the bolt head and extractor though - are they not? I am not near my guns to take a closer look.

I bet someone knows right off what I'm getting at - does the .300 Savage bolt in the gun have same bolt face dimensions/extractor dimensions as the .35 Rem?

Thanks
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Re: .300 Savage/.35 Remington bolt questions for 'yalls

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam, if you have both, mike the ID of the bolt face on the 300 then the 35R. It will be enlightening.
They are not the same, the case rim is not the same. Worth some thought, hey?
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Thanks for the "reality check" Carl - figured that the bolt face would be different once I looked at it and measured, but wasn't sure about it.

So, the bolt extension or bolt itself - not the entire bolt carrier assembly - is one of three unique bolt face dimensions. Got it! There's a .35 bolt/another for the .25/.30/.32 family, and the .300 Savage to round out the collection.

Basically then, what I need to do is get a second .35 Rem bolt and swap that in place of the .300 Savage bolt, if I were to do such a "convertible" operation.
IIRC the .35/.300 springs are common to each other, as the .30/.32 springs "match" each other. That part is true right?

Take care!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
With the design of the rifles I am more concerned about headspace than rim space. I consistently urge caution when folks talk about swap or swapping barrels, even when the same caliber. Many will note the 300S and 35R extractors are identical. So far all the bolt carrier details I know of are the same. Is the bolt face in the same position in a different barrel?
I urge you to minimize parts expense for a while as I am doing some tests. Great minds think alike. You might go ahead with the 35R barrel assy search, but not bolt parts for now. I'm still searching for a good 35Rem bare barrel, at a reasonable cost or trade.
The idea is cool for a shooter (not pristine) but once again I urge anyone to cover all the bases on headspace.
Lastly I would verify the buffer spring is the same, I have not miked them just yet.
Phyrbird
SOKY