81D Grade

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
MRN1953

81D Grade

Post by MRN1953 »

At a Rock Island Auction a 81D recently sold with a tang sight and a Krieger type removable magazine. While I can see the magazine would be of some interest on a stock 81, and increase the value, what would it do to a higher grade gun? I own a 81D one serial from the one that sold in similar condition I consider selling from time to time. How many 81D's are know to exist? I'm sure it's more than the 12 reported several years ago. How were they picked for engraving at the factory? Just off the line at will or by an order?
81police

Re: 81D Grade

Post by 81police »

Great questions MRN1953!

The RSA Journal (4th Quarter, 2008) listed 10 "observed examples" of the 81D's by serial number. We now know of at least 2 others not on that list. Perhaps there could be more???

Considering the rarity, and that a Lyman or Marbles tang didn't require additional drilling & tapping, I'd think there's minimal change in value if one has a tang sight installed. Besides with such a small selection pool of rifles, I'd think changes in sell prices would be more affected by #1 condition and #2 where and when they were being sold.

Forum member Corey Creamer could much better describe how the rifles may have been selected. All I know is that there's a pattern to the serial number ranges, so presumably a handful were selected as high grade guns before any factory roll markings were applied. Other than that I don't know!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
MRN1953

Post by MRN1953 »

The 2 81D grades not on the list of 10 in 2008 are mine and the one that sold at Rock Island 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts on the magazine on a D grade?
81police

Post by 81police »

to truly know if anything (other than condition) affects value I believe you'd need a larger sample size from which to gather data. With a dozen rifles on paper and very very few having sold, it's all speculation. My guess is the change in value (positive or negative) from a Krieger magazine on an 81D would be negligible. When people buy an 8 or 81 with a Krieger, they're paying for the functionality or collectability of the Krieger, when people buy an 81D, they're paying because it's an 81 D! My 2 cents anyways.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator