model 8 grade 5?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
WesF

model 8 grade 5?

Post by WesF »

I would like to know more about is what I think is a 35 Rem Mod 8 grade 5. I'm unsure of the grade. I'd just like to get as much information about this gun as you can provide. I'd love to know when it was made, about how many were made in this grade, and what grade it really is. I guessed a grade 5 because the grade 4 picture I saw had no animal scene and less scroll coverage. Sadly, this gun had an accident at some point in it's life leaving it with a broken and repaired stock. I'm wondering if would I hurt the value of the gun by restocking it. I'm also wondering about insurance vaules on this piece. Thanks for your help.

~Wes

jack1653

Re: model 8 grade 5?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Wes,

What a beautiful rifle. It is always refreshing to see pictures of a real work of art. There are several members who can give information about your rifle. If you can get John Henwood's book, you can learn quite a bit about the engraved models. The person who is probably the best source on the engraved models is Bob Creamer. I do not know his forum name, but I am sure 81police can get you his name and you could send him a private post.

Replacing the original stock will greatly reduce the value of this engraved rifle. the stock is numbered to the rifle. You might be better off to find a good gunsmith who does restoration work and have it repaired professionally. 81police can give you the name of a very good gunsmith.

Value of the rifle is what you want it to be on engraved models. Bob Creamer could give you a fair market value.

You can check the year of manufacture by looking up the serial number on the home page of the forum. There should be some other codes stamped on the barrel that can tell you the monthe the gun was made.

Good Luck and glad to have you on board.

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Wes,

Your rifle left the factory sometime in 1910. You are correct in that it is a Grade 5 (E grade) rifle. The blue wear looks consistent for a rifle that was used some in its history. I cannot tell by your pictures, is that an old recoil pad fitted to the buttstock? The two biggest detractors to the value of your rifle is obviously is the condition of the stock, and that the back of the receiver has been drilled & tapped with 2 non factory holes to accomodate that Williams peep sight.

I'm no expert on prices/market value of these guns, but spending the money to restock it probably wouldn't increase the value, it probably would actually hurt it. Like Jack said, it might be worth your time to see what a really good gunsmith could do to get it back to looking the way it should professionally. To give you a very broad idea, there's a nice #4 (D grade) rifle for sale now for $3500 and #6 (F grade) rifles typically bring over $5,000. I do not know how many E grade rifles were produced.

Cam
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
bigskybound

Post by bigskybound »

Beautiful rifle. I echo the thoughts on restoring original stock. My first recently acquired Model 8 also has the Williams sight. I did not know until the above post that it had non factory holes drilled for it. Bummer. :(
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

Cam,

Do you have a pointer to the D Grade that you mentioned is for sale now. I'm not interested in buying but would like to see it.

Thanks

John
WesF

Post by WesF »

Thanks for the information guys. Especially Cam and Jack. Its nice to have people around who are willing to share their expertise!

~Wes