220 gr bullets within design specs for 35 rem 81?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
denny35

220 gr bullets within design specs for 35 rem 81?

Post by denny35 »

Greetings! I recently acquired a 35 cal model 81 (circa 1940, I think). I have some 220 gr Speer hotcors that I was planning to use in it with some reloads, but now I'm having some misgivings. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe the factory max bullet weight for the 35 rem has never exceeded 200 grains. So one might argue 220 grainers are beyond the likely design specifications for the 81 - are moderate 220 grain loads per the Speer manual likely to be a problem for an 81 in good condition? Thanks for your thoughts.

denny
Sarge756

Re: 220 gr bullets within design specs for 35 rem 81?

Post by Sarge756 »

The factory loads can be used as a guide in most cases but there are many times that one wonders if the fear of litigation has kept the full potential of a cartridge from being realized. My favorite,the 257 Roberts is a prime example. It was never loaded to full potential with even the +P factory loads available today. With the 35 Remington the bullet size and seating to stay within max overall length for functioning in the Model 81 keeps the danger of an overload to a minimum when using the correct powder. 220 grain Speer bullets work well in the 81 and I have reloaded and shot them in Model 8`s ,81`s and Marlin 336. The loads I would suggest would be to reduce those recommended for 200gr by at least 10%. If you plan to use this bullet for hunting be aware that reduced velocity may keep the bullet from mushrooming properly. Shots should be at a hundred yards or less. Hunting loads should be worked up to with a chrony to a muzzle velocity of around 1950 fps. to give extra margin of range.
We`ve discussed the strength of our rifles on here many times and with the thought of your rifle also being chambered for the much higher pressure 300 Savage you should be able to put your misgivings aside.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
denny35

Post by denny35 »

Joe,
Thanks for the info, it's particularly useful to know that you have had good results with Speer 220 grainers in your 8 & 81. Your advice about limited expansion is well-taken; even in my 358 Winchester the bullets seem quite stout.

Initially I took comfort in the idea that model 81's could withstand 300 Savage pressures. But the more I thought about it, I became doubtful that I should hang my hat on this. For bolt thrust, all that matters is max pressure and cartridge head surface area which is fine for a gun with "no moving parts" such as a bolt or lever; bullet weight is mostly irrelevant. But there's a lot of stuff in motion and banging around in an 8/81, hence I was thinking recoil energy, which depends more on bullet weight, was what I should be concerned about. I just don't know.

I really like Speer hotcors; I just wish they made a 200 grainer for the 35 rem. As you suggest, I think I'll go with the 220's and just stay with really conservative charge weights.

denny
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

You should be just fine staying conservative. Now that recoil business is another consideration. The 220`s do give a more stout kick to an already (in my book) hard kicking rifle. I load for other 35`s including a couple Whelens and 350 Remington Mag it`s ballistic twin. The 600 Remington in 350 and a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Whelen with a short 18" barrel are much tamer when I use a lighter bullet. Have found the 180gr Speers to be easier on my shoulder in those two and my 8`s and 81`s. As far as terminal performance the 180`s do just fine with reasonable powder charges.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Denny,
You might try this link:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/ri ... %5B%5D=220

The data is credited to Hodgden's great database.

More info is available at Steve's pages as well.
Phyrbird
SOKY