skip the .30-30, use the .32 Win Special for.32 Rem brass?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Adam Lee

skip the .30-30, use the .32 Win Special for.32 Rem brass?

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys - I am getting into reloading finally - with "whack a mole" technology, good ol' Lee Loaders for a couple fave calibers.

I was thinking of what you all thought about using .32 Win Special brass to make some .32 Rem - sure, got to turn off the rim, and carve an extractor groove just like you do on a .30-30/.30WCF case - but my thinking is that there's no need to expand the case neck if I was starting off with a .32WCF.

What do you think?

I now am getting a .30 Rem/.30 WCF Lee Loader vintage kit and a .32 Rem/ .32 WCF kit from some auctions.

Thanks
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
ranman

Re: skip the .30-30, use the .32 Win Special for.32 Rem bras

Post by ranman »

Should work very well and less likely to confuse the reloads . My stash of 32 rem is getting low and I may try this.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

ranman wrote:Should work very well and less likely to confuse the reloads . My stash of 32 rem is getting low and I may try this.
Ranman,

that's one thing I also was keeping in mind - the modified headstamps will all show a remnant of ".32 WSPL" rather than ".30 WCF" or ".30-30" so you could quickly ID your reload for convenience/safety.

Also, I suspect that (but do not know) the .32 WSPL case must be same case length and shoulder contour dimensions as .30 WCF/.30-30, just with neck size expanded to .32 - which is what we want to make .32 Rem cases.

I am obviously a newbie reloader - so any comments I do welcome!

Thanks, team!

Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

This might help:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd32remington.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd32winchesterspecial.jpg

Note the winchester is a little short on the shoulder with a different angle, it will require fireforming then resizing.
Phyrbird
SOKY
ranman

Post by ranman »

I was checking the dimensions in the 13 edition of Cartrides of the world (page 551) and they list case length on both as 2.04. Some very good info here. It would be so nice if I didn't have to scour the ground and snow for my empties... There is alway one that I never can find!
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Phyrbird wrote:This might help:

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd32remington.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd32winchesterspecial.jpg

Note the winchester is a little short on the shoulder with a different angle, it will require fireforming then resizing.
Thanks, Carl - I appreciate the images, and the info! Hey, don't you get new-made .30 or .32 cases occasionally? I believe you had posted on this subject back a few years ago. Or maybe that was Roger.

Anyway, yes I am finally getting into reloading but with the "absolute beginner" style of the Lee Loader kits - "whack-a-mole" reloading as they say!!

Take care
Adam
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam Lee wrote:
Phyrbird wrote:Hey, don't you get new-made .30 or .32 cases occasionally? I believe you had posted on this subject back a few years ago. Or maybe that was Roger.

Anyway, yes I am finally getting into reloading but with the "absolute beginner" style of the Lee Loader kits - "whack-a-mole" reloading as they say!!

Take care
Adam
Adam.
YeahIDO, :D just have not been getting any stock :roll: from Remington for these months.. :oops: ... Will call

Another of Steves pages that's handy is ::

http://stevespages.com/zip/ansi-saami_c ... _rifle.zip

The complete SAAMI specs for all rifle cartridges. Cool Hunh :?:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Phyrbird wrote:
Adam Lee wrote:
Phyrbird wrote:Hey, don't you get new-made .30 or .32 cases occasionally? I believe you had posted on this subject back a few years ago. Or maybe that was Roger.

Take care
Adam
Adam.
YeahIDO, :D just have not been getting any stock :roll: from Remington for these months.. :oops: ... Will call

Another of Steves pages that's handy is ::

http://stevespages.com/zip/ansi-saami_c ... _rifle.zip

The complete SAAMI specs for all rifle cartridges. Cool Hunh :?:
Thanks Carl - thought that was you!

Steve's pages are awesome resources, I opened your link and tried to save the pdf but I already had it in my folder - must have downloaded that zip file myself a while ago. Great stuff!

So bottom line - doesn't sound like you get any particular advantage from trimming .32 WSPL vs .30-30 WCF case rims and milling extractor grooves, does it?

Adam
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam,
One very real benefit is the 32 on the case stamp. While I have little experience with modifying / recutting extractor grooves, I have one case from the range with a split neck. It's 30R. But when you look carefully the neck is 32R, HHMMM?? Could it have made it into a 32Rem chamber? We shot both that day. Not all of the group have my knowledge of the rifles.
My point is how easy it could be to mess up. Our ladies and our health deserve every care. The 25 cal is very obvious, the difference of 30 vs 32 is not so obvious. A headstamp could save the day and not force us to mike every neck before we push in a magazine.
My idea is use the 32 WSPL if one is going to cut new extractor grooves the 32 on the case head helps ID the finished product.
Phyrbird
SOKY