Barrels

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
crowkiller

Barrels

Post by crowkiller »

Are there any gunsmiths out there that turn out "new" barrels for these rifles or are we stuck with whatever has already been produced? Thanks
81police

Re: Barrels

Post by 81police »

crowkiller,

We're pretty much stuck with original Remington mfg. 8/81 barrels, I've never heard of any custom barrel makers. Too bad because I'd buy one! What caliber barrel are you looking for?

Cam
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
2verpsters

Post by 2verpsters »

I agree with 81. But, if you really needed a new barrel I am sure that Hart or Shiloh or one of the custom makers would turn one out for you. The barrel unscrews from the barrel extension, the big shiny piece that is stamped with the caliber and mates up with the bolt and bolt carrier. Once the barrel is unscrewed from that extension, it looks like any other 22 inch rifle barrel. That piece tends to make you think it would be pretty hard to replicate but it wouldn't be. Plus, it would probably be cheaper than a custom match grade barrel as these rifles are not set up to be sub minute of angle. Chambers are not match grade and neither is the crown or anything else. You're usually lucky to find a barrel that actually has the bored truly centered in the barrel. Only trick would be that the maker would have to follow the contour of the barrel closely so that it fit back together with the springs and washers and nuts of the barrel assembly. Same with the threads for the barrel nut and the groove cut in the threads that locates the barrel nut washer. I'm sure it could be done, but I bet you could by another rifle for what you would have into it.
crowkiller

Post by crowkiller »

Thank You, I was not aware that the extension came off? I was looking for a .25 Rem barrel?
imfuncity

Re: Barrel Questions

Post by imfuncity »

Some questions regarding an 8/81 barrel...
What about reboring the old barrel? I'm not familiar with the process other than I've read of it being done on other rifles. Couldn't a bad 25 be rebored to a 30, etc.? (I know that the internals around the barrel in the sleeve of a 25 are the same as those in a 30, not sure on the 32.) And, how about the cost of reboring? How does it compared to getting a new barrel and/or making a specific new barrel for the 8/81?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

2verpsters wrote: The barrel unscrews from the barrel extension, the big shiny piece that is stamped with the caliber and mates up with the bolt and bolt carrier.
Really? I thought it was all one piece. Not hat I'd ever remove it or anything, but it's interesting to know.