Caliber and barrel interchange

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Sebastian21

Caliber and barrel interchange

Post by Sebastian21 »

I just finished rebuilding 10 model 8's and 81's. You can interchange the barrels and actions in the 25-30-32 calibers. You can put any barrel assemblies on any action. There is no headspace on 8's or 81's as it can not be changed or adjusted. They are like many automatics the hespadspace is automatic adjusted when the bolt seats. You can not interchange the 35 and 300. They use different bolts but the springs are the same but different from the 25-30-32 calibers.
Adam Lee

Re: Caliber and barrel interchange

Post by Adam Lee »

Sebastian21 wrote:I just finished rebuilding 10 model 8's and 81's. You can interchange the barrels and actions in the 25-30-32 calibers. You can put any barrel assemblies on any action. There is no headspace on 8's or 81's as it can not be changed or adjusted. They are like many automatics the hespadspace is automatic adjusted when the bolt seats. You can not interchange the 35 and 300. They use different bolts but the springs are the same but different from the 25-30-32 calibers.
Mr. S,

Thanks for your input on your Model 8's and 81's. What you say about Model 8/81 is true regarding headspacing, IMHO. Same thing about your observation of 35/300 Savage bolts - dimensions are similar but NOT the same, so can't or shouldn't be swapped.

Any chance you could post up pics of your collection? We here are ALL ABOUT the pictures!!! :lol:

Take care
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.