Rear Sight Screw

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
whiterook

Rear Sight Screw

Post by whiterook »

What would be the correct size screws for the semi buckhorn rear sight on my Model 81 (300 Savage)? These would be the two screws which attach the sight to the barrel sleeve. I don't have the sight in my possession yet; just purchased it via online auction. But from what research I have done, it seems likely the sight is either manufactured by Remington or Marbles. I do have the rear sight screw protector which the screws fit into.

A little background information: When I first first acquired this rifle, it wore both a side-mounted scope (the cheapest one inch scope that I've ever seen on a center fire rifle) and a tang sight. I removed the scope and mount right away, as it was not aesthetically pleasing (to me, anyway).

Although the tang sight worked pretty well, I never really liked it either. It seemed too close to my eye, and it dug into the web of my right hand when gripping the stock. Plus, the little screw stem with the aperture on one end seemed really rickety. Sure enough, I lost that rickety aperture stem while deer hunting this fall.

Thank you in advance for your help.

-whiterook-
Phyrbird

Re: Rear Sight Screw

Post by Phyrbird »

WR,
I am pretty sure they are 6-40 screws, panhead. I've only been able to find allen head locally though. Brownells sells kits and bare screws for a pretty penny.
I would be interested in the scope, mount, and tang sight parts. Trade or purchase??
If you are interested, I will PM a message with my email..
I am restoring a model 8; unfortunately all the numbered parts are gone. I just have a receiver and barrel assembly and other parts.

Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY