FBI Model 81 question

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
pieceinthevalley

FBI Model 81 question

Post by pieceinthevalley »

Can anyone advise the screw/thread size of the receiver holes drilled for the Lyman 41 aperture sight? I've started the daunting task of trying to make the rifle "correct". Any leads on correct parts for this rifle would be appreciated!
81police

Re: FBI Model 81 question

Post by 81police »

this may help...
Attachments
IMG_20151202_231114843.jpg
IMG_20151202_231114843.jpg (248.66 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Where do you come up with stuff? :lol:
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

This is worse than needing photos; how many of us need dimensional prints of parts for our ladies? :?

I suggest we share as much of these tidbits as are available, please. I'm working on dimensional data for the internal parts of my set of barrels. Finally got 'em all.

More points of interest: I know the front sight base is brazed in place. How is the screw base for the rear sight affixed? What are thread data for the tang screws and trigger guard screws? Is there a source of taps &/or dies to chase said threads? How is the forearm base mounted? What holds the block behind the buffer spring in place? Thread size for the take down screw?

These are known answers our members may need to keep our ladies in proper condition without messing up. We could start a separate section off the index for these answers, and the verification of same....
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

I do have factory drawings for several of the Model 8 barrels, including all dimensions, thread pitches, etc. I also have factory drawings for several other parts, but as these were confidently shared with me, I'm reluctant to make them all publicly available, especially the ones that are associated with the rare FBI and Police rifles. If I did, next thing you know they're on ebay or gunbroker being sold! Instead of sharing a complete drawing, I would however be willing to share the technical data from those if it's in the interest of restoring a rifle.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

I completely support your position. I feel the same way. I will help anyone when I can but there are some things that are proprietary and were given to me with the understanding that it was confidential. There have been times when I asked the provider if some things might be shared. I have been told yes and no and respected the givers position. We all know individuals who have betrayed the trust and spoiled it for everyone. Such is life. Live and learn.

Regards,

jack1653