Model 8 Mfg. code K E

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Tknutson47

Model 8 Mfg. code K E

Post by Tknutson47 »

I recently acquired a very nice engraved model 8 .35 Rem. By the looks of it I would think it was either a D or E grade, it shows features of each, ie silver name plate, engraved serial number, checkering, beautifully grained walnut, splinter style forestock. It has a brown remington cap on the pistol grip. As near as I can tell the date of the engraved serial number and stamped mfg date are almost 30 years apart. Any Idea on what I have?
81police

Re: Model 8 Mfg. code K E

Post by 81police »

Hey Tknutson47, is the code "K E" followed by a number "3"? Are you able to share a partial serial number and/or some photos?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Tknutson47

Post by Tknutson47 »

Serial # engraved 147XX
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

The serial number dates the receiver to circa 1909. The K E indicates May (K) of 1936 (E). Does your barrel jacket have engraving as well?
If the K E is not followed a number, maybe your barrel jacket has a different serial number stamped on the bottom of the barrel jacket head. If the barrel jacket is not engraved, your rifle has had a barrel replacement sometime during its history. Pictures would help too.
Enjoy Life, Bob & Jeff @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Tknutson47

Post by Tknutson47 »

Stamping is K E 3. Barrel jacket is engraved, I would love to attach pictures but don't know how. This weapon appears to have had limited or no use.
Thanks for your input.
81police

Post by 81police »

"KE 3" is a Remington factory repair code. In other words in May, 1936 your rifle was sent back to Remington for a repair.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

I always pay attention to these "decode the code" threads - interesting stuff to a gun history nut!

+1 on pics - maybe someone could give him a hand? I've got mine full with fifth grade nonsense, otherwise I'd offer to help. Can't even find the time to get myself to the gun range during the school term these days..... :?

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

There's rarely any mystery to manufacture dates, dates codes, repair codes, etc as long as you know how to interpret the data. That's why we made this page a long time ago for anybody to decipher their codes. It discusses just about everything there is to know.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=450
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator