Values of Remington Model 8, Model 10, Model 12?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
srs

Values of Remington Model 8, Model 10, Model 12?

Post by srs »

I have a 1930 Model 8 in 30 Remington, a 1913 Model 10 12 gauge pump (actually early enough that it is not roll marked a Model 10), and a 1917 Model 12-A pump rifle in .22 short-long-long rifle. All three have been well used and each has its own issues that likely keep them from being prime collector items. I'm having a money crunch and am thinking about selling these out of my collection and would like some input on their possible values.

First, the 8 is my maternal grandfather's rifle and was used by him to feed 5 families in west Texas during the depression. He told me it has killed more deer than I'll likely ever see. It is well used, but works well. The front sight was broken off in a fall and silver soldered back on. I also have some ammo, virgin brass, and dies.

The Model 10 was my father-in-law's uncle's gun. The stock is cracked and should be repaired or replaced, his uncle had reinforced it with some strapping tape (kinda ugly) and it probably should not be shot in its current state.

The Model 12-A was given to me by my paternal great-uncle when I was a child and was my "go-to" small game rifle for decades. It is missing the butt plate and a small screw. Neither affects functioning or safety are both are readily available replacement parts (they were never a priority for me).

Any insight on valuation would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures later. Would these be better sold as a set of Remington takedowns or individually? Also, where would be the best place to list them?

Thanks,
Steve in Richmond, VA
Hardrada55

Re: Values of Remington Model 8, Model 10, Model 12?

Post by Hardrada55 »

I have heard that Realtors say that the 3 keys to a house's value is, "location..., location...., location. A corollary rule to that would be that a firearms value is, "condition..., condition..., condition". The only real exception that I know of to that is provenance to some notable or historically important person. Condition is usually described as a percentage of original finish left on the metal and wood. Your guns with missing and broken parts will be discounted from what the percentage condition is. The real way to get a better opinion from knowledgeable others as to a reasonable value would be to put pictures of these guns up. I've lived all over west Texas, in what part of west Texas did your Model 8 kill all these deer?
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60