Model 81 question

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
heli77

Model 81 question

Post by heli77 »

I have a question regarding the model 81. I recently decided to look for a model 81 to add to my collection. The other day I found a very nice 81 (300 Savage) with a serial number of 24xxx and a barrel date code of X PP(December, 1945). The blueing is 85% and the walnut stock is in excellent original condition. It has a Marbles tang peep sight and a flip up/down barrel sight. A Boone scope/sight mount is also attached to the left side of the receiver. Does having the scope mount without a scope affect the value or the collectible aspect of the rifle?
Hardrada55

Re: Model 81 question

Post by Hardrada55 »

Generally, collectors prefer undrilled and untapped, firearms. So, generally speaking, yes, it does affect the value. That being said, I'd love to see a picture of the mounting of a Boone scope that is actually mounted to the rifle. Does this mounting have the peep sight attached by any chance? I've got a Boone Saturn scope and mount, but haven't mounted it on a rifle. http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=172
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Agreed that it may be a detractor but just think of the fun you will have tracking down a Boone Saturn scope. I`ll get you started.....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =508831685
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
heli77

Post by heli77 »

Hardrada55 wrote:Generally, collectors prefer undrilled and untapped, firearms. So, generally speaking, yes, it does affect the value. That being said, I'd love to see a picture of the mounting of a Boone scope that is actually mounted to the rifle. Does this mounting have the peep sight attached by any chance? I've got a Boone Saturn scope and mount, but haven't mounted it on a rifle. http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=172

Thank you for the fast response. Unfortunately, the peep sight is not attached to the mount. I know price is a subjective topic but is $650 too much for the rifle being described above?
Hardrada55

Post by Hardrada55 »

In my humble opinion, yes, $650 for an legit 85% tapped post-WW2 .300 Savage rifle is too much. For that much money, I'm going to be wanting a pristine rifle - 95%+, with that beautiful pre-war bluing, and in some other caliber than .300 Savage. And I guarantee you $650 would be the top of my price range and I would be looking hard to beat that price.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
heli77

Post by heli77 »

Hardrada55 wrote:In my humble opinion, yes, $650 for an legit 85% tapped post-WW2 .300 Savage rifle is too much. For that much money, I'm going to be wanting a pristine rifle - 95%+, with that beautiful pre-war bluing, and in some other caliber than .300 Savage. And I guarantee you $650 would be the top of my price range and I would be looking hard to beat that price.

Thank you very much for answering my questions. I have decided to pass on this rifle. I will continue to look locally for a model 8 or 81 in 35 Rem. that has not been drilled and tapped. Gun Shows have started in my area and maybe I'll find a rifle in the coming months.