Bluing

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
eagles

Bluing

Post by eagles »

I have been waiting for a refinish job on my model 8 for three years. A job that was supposed to have taken three months according to the man when I gave it to him. last Jan I asked him what was up ( I would let him go six months at a time with out one pesky email or call ) He asked me to wait a "little while longer, at that time , To me a little while longer might be a few weeks or so ? I waited until now and with still no response after seven more months I simply emailed him and asked him to define for me his definition of " a little more time." He tells me the wood work is done and just take the gun and let some one else do the metal work ! Not a thing was done on that in all this time. So now I need some one who can polish the little scratches out and do a high gloss blue (which is what I would like ).Can some one advise a reliable source , who is reasonable and wont keep my gun three more years to blue it ? I am 64 and missed three deer seasons to use this already. Thank you.
eagles

Re: Bluing

Post by eagles »

So there is no one on this entire site that knows one good person who can blue a model 8 ?
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey eagles,

There's a lot of people out there who can do high gloss blue jobs, I'd just check around with your local gunsmiths/gunshops. What most places can't do is recreating the original, slow rust blue these guns came with. I have seen nice reblues, but being able to match that old, rich colored, Remington slow rust isn't common.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
eagles

Post by eagles »

yes well of course I checked with every gunsmith and gun store in my area, NONE do ANY bluing anymore . The one man who did retired and that was that . In this day and age of coatings and camo the demand for blueing has gone down . So if you know of a person who can do the slow rust blue or the high gloss and has experience on THE MODEL 8 DOING SO can you please just tell me how to contact them ? I am still astounded not one person has the name and contact of a reliable person who they have used on their model 8 for blueing. SURELY some of you have had to have a blue job on your model 8 ? WONT A SINGLE PERSON HELP HERE ?
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hello, I talked to a collector on the west coast yesterday, who had these folks restore a Remodel 8 and he said he was very pleased with the outcome. You can click on the link to their website below.

Turnbull Restoration & Manufacturing Co.
6680 State Route 5 & 20
Bloomfield, NY 14469
Ph#. (585) 412-2970
Website address: http://www.turnbullmfg.com/

Good luck with your restoration!
Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I doubt anyone will do a better job than Turnbull but it will be expensive I suspect. I would give D & D a call but be clear on what you want. I would prep the metal and have them blue it >> but that's just me <<< ... call them and say I want a gun reblued in high Gloss is fine but go in knowing that pitting or metal flaws will stand out like a sore thumb if the metal is not prepped first.

D & D Gunsmiths 363 Elmwood Dr. Troy, MI 48083. Voice: (248) 583-1512

ask for Dan
eagles

Post by eagles »

Thanks , Turnbull is well known to me but your right EXPENSIVE !!! I was hoping I could find some one who could do the metal prep before they blued it and YES any high gloss blue would look awful over metal that was not polished properly. Does D & D not do metal prep ?
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I think they would >> call and ask