Firing pin variants

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Johnhalf

Firing pin variants

Post by Johnhalf »

Hi All, I have three different types of firing pins. (No i didn't buy another rifle (yet) just a bolt assembly) Is this it or are there others?
three kinds of pins small.jpg
three kinds of pins small.jpg (255.86 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
I had not seen anything about the two piece before. It was in a bolt from a 81 mfg in 42.
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
81police

Re: Firing pin variants

Post by 81police »

Good photo John. According to John Henwood, the top firing pin was called the "Series 1942". It's listed as a three-piece assembly including firing pin front, firing pin rear, and firing pin bushing. Henwood goes onto say, "the three-piece firing pin is uncommon, and found in only a few rifles, usually as a replacement assembly" (p.54). He also states that there were at least 4 different types of firing pins used in 8's/81's.

As to the bottom firing pin, it appears to be of older style w/out the shoulder for any firing pin spring or buffer spring. This is correct for earlier Model 8's.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Johnhalf

Re: Firing pin variants

Post by Johnhalf »

Hi Cam. Thanks for the information. Time for me to buy a copy Mr. Henwood's book! The bolt for the two piece does indeed have a bushing. The retaining pins are shortened to allow room for it. The middle pin is from my 1940 81 in 300 savage and the bottom is from my 1915 model 8 in 35 rem.
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper