Model 8 Barrel lengh Difference

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
mscoble

Model 8 Barrel lengh Difference

Post by mscoble »

Hello All: I have two Models a .25 and a .30. The .25 is a typical rifle but the .30 is a bit different. I include a photo to help explain. The top barrel in the photo is from a vintage 1911 .30 model 8 and the bottom barrel is a vintage 1909 .25 Model 8. When assembled the muzzle of the .25 looks like every other model 8 but the .30 does not as the barrel protrudes a ¼ beyond the barrel nut. Both function fine, but I would like to understand if the .30 has a replacement barrel, is just a different variation or ??? The only marking I see on the .30 barrel is the number 40 and W&S both of these markings stamped on the bottom of the barrel near the breach (see second photo). In John Henwood’s book, page 59 he has a photo of three different length barrel nuts. Could mine just need the longer nut and the current nut is just a replacement. The nuts I currently have on both the .25 and the .30 appear dimensionally identical. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Matt
Attachments
barrel markings.jpg
barrel markings.jpg (479.19 KiB) Viewed 6993 times
Model 8 barrels.jpg
Model 8 barrels.jpg (591.6 KiB) Viewed 6993 times
Adam Lee

Re: Model 8 Barrel lengh Difference

Post by Adam Lee »

I don't have any knowledge regarding your question, however I wanted to mention that I appreciate your well-edited photos showing exactly where the markings are on your .30 Rem barrel. That W&S and 40 stamp add a lot of interest to a "gun markings" gun nut like me!!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
mscoble

Post by mscoble »

Thank you for responding, I hope I have been clear as to my questions. The W&S barrel mark is not noted , that I could find, in Henwood, which seems the principle Model Reference book and it also seems odd that the barrel is longer then standard so it protrudes so far beyond the barrel nut (see photo), shoots good though. I just wish to understand why it is different. Any information is welcome-Matt
Attachments
Model 8 odd muzzle.jpg
Model 8 odd muzzle.jpg (224.43 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

If such a thing exists, it sure might be an aftermarket barrel. Just my thought, based on nothing more than a guess!

Keep up the research!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
mscoble

Post by mscoble »

Yes, I was thinking the rifle's a hundred years old and things happen, maybe a new barrel was needed and a firm named W&S made or sold them. On the other hand why would a replacement barrel not be identical? Does anyone have a rifle which uses the 1.275 barrel nut Henwood shows on page 59 of his book? If so what does the associated barrel look like and if it looks like my barrel where in the world can I find one of those longer nuts??-thanks Matt
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I have never seen the w&s marking on a m-8/81 up to this point in my collecting career/hobby. I have no definitive answer to this dilema,but tend to agree with Adam about it being some after market barrel company.
Since John Henwood doesn't mention this company,they may have been a small or localized company. Now I haven't looked at my Henwood book to study any of this, but it seems to make sense to me.
I also collect old gun ads, and don't remember seeing their name in any advertisements. I hope some more members will weigh in on this subject,because it seems to be a new subject of interest for us.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

I would learn towards the opinions of others as well. I've never heard nor seen the "W & S" markings before, and being a seemingly unusual barrel marking with an unusual barrel length (never seen that before either) it would learn one towards the idea of aftermarket. But I suppose if it shoots well, it doesn't need any fixin'
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

The barrel length variations issue appeared in other threads recently:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4069

Fellow had several Model-8s - each with more or less barrel protruding ahead of the bushing. IIRC...there are photos and further mention of this in another thread.