M8/81 scopes

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
chas1949

M8/81 scopes

Post by chas1949 »

Looking for info as to what would be the proper vintage scope to put on my M81.
This is a 300 Savage Krieger conversion that was drilled for a Williams SM mount when I purchased it. I have just received a very nice vintage Williams mount and want to complete the rifle as it originally was.
Any info from those more knowledgeable on this subject then myself will be appreciated.
Adam Lee

Re: M8/81 scopes

Post by Adam Lee »

Weaver K4?
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

The most common I recall were older Weaver K3, KV, etc. Also Lyman All-Weather (Alaskan). Mostly fixed power scopes, though I think the KV was variable power if you removed a turret.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

A true "vintage" and "completing the rifle as it originally was" is a worthy endeavor and I tend to lean that way when dealing with old guns. The "no mag wheels on my 40 Ford" mentality. I`d advise you to modify it just a little for this effort though. Last year production of the 81 keeps it in the era of scopes with non-centered reticles. With the type scope mount you intend to use I can tell you from experience that it will be an effort in frustration with one of them unless you are extremely lucky. The Perma -Centered reticles were first introduced mid 50`s by Lyman and Weaver soon followed with updated K series scopes. The 60 series B models have the constantly centered reticles and like the the Lyman All Americans of that era will serve you much better than the earlier scopes from either company. It was about this time that coatings on the lens for better light transmission and filling the tubes with inert gas to ward off moisture /fogging issues began to be used.I am assuming that your mount has one inch rings here when suggesting these scopes.
Due to the rather compact stumpy configuration of our 81`s I tend to prefer a shorter straight tube scope for them. The Weaver K3 is such a scope and would serve you well. When considering any of the Weavers or Lymans the appearance of the scopes through out the years of production are very similar so having a later model would not detract much from your originality quest. The turrent design and the covers are different on the later models but it should not be a big deal. I would opt for a later model Weaver K3 with the Micro-Trac adjustments .The model for that scope is K3-1. The later models are brighter and I believe somewhat stronger though all the old steel tube Weavers were sturdy.
I see the KV was mentioned. I`ve not had much luck finding a good one. They were the first attempt by Weaver at a variable scope and actually were not a variable as we know it today. They had two settings; either 2 3/4 or 5X on the early models and 3 or 5 on the later ones. Most of the ones I`ve dealt with tended to have dim image and did not maintain good focus when the power was changed.That model didn`t stay in production very long.
Good luck with your search.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

I am glad to hear Joe's feedback on the choice of scopes - he's a great source of "real world experience" information. And a good history lesson for me to learn from, too - since it's all new to me!

Adam
Sarge756 wrote:A true "vintage" and "completing the rifle as it originally was" is a worthy endeavor and I tend to lean that way when dealing with old guns. The "no mag wheels on my 40 Ford" mentality. I`d advise you to modify it just a little for this effort though. Last year production of the 81 keeps it in the era of scopes with non-centered reticles. With the type scope mount you intend to use I can tell you from experience that it will be an effort in frustration with one of them unless you are extremely lucky. The Perma -Centered reticles were first introduced mid 50`s by Lyman and Weaver soon followed with updated K series scopes. The 60 series B models have the constantly centered reticles and like the the Lyman All Americans of that era will serve you much better than the earlier scopes from either company. It was about this time that coatings on the lens for better light transmission and filling the tubes with inert gas to ward off moisture /fogging issues began to be used.I am assuming that your mount has one inch rings here when suggesting these scopes.
Due to the rather compact stumpy configuration of our 81`s I tend to prefer a shorter straight tube scope for them. The Weaver K3 is such a scope and would serve you well. When considering any of the Weavers or Lymans the appearance of the scopes through out the years of production are very similar so having a later model would not detract much from your originality quest. The turrent design and the covers are different on the later models but it should not be a big deal. I would opt for a later model Weaver K3 with the Micro-Trac adjustments .The model for that scope is K3-1. The later models are brighter and I believe somewhat stronger though all the old steel tube Weavers were sturdy.
I see the KV was mentioned. I`ve not had much luck finding a good one. They were the first attempt by Weaver at a variable scope and actually were not a variable as we know it today. They had two settings; either 2 3/4 or 5X on the early models and 3 or 5 on the later ones. Most of the ones I`ve dealt with tended to have dim image and did not maintain good focus when the power was changed.That model didn`t stay in production very long.
Joe
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

Excellent advice from Sarge756! Thanks for the scope info, much of that I didn't know.

I mentioned the Weaver KV because I once had a fine 81 in 300Sav with a KV mounted. From what I remember the quality of the optic was outstanding considering its age. I also had an 81 in 35Rem with a K3 but it quickly became gloomy and cloudy as the sun went down. Here's a picture of the KV w/ T post reticle and a boar I took w/ it from 2007. I think the KV is about as big a scope as I'd want on any 8 or 81. I'd definitely agree with Sarge, a short, straight tube usually looks the best on these guns.
Attachments
DSC03469.JPG
DSC03469.JPG (266.81 KiB) Viewed 7936 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Gettin' the job done on that hawg with the .300 Savage, Cam! I'm about to begin my own journey so to speak with a .300 Savage M81 - looking forward to it!

No scope for me though - no holes in my receiver, and won't ever be any - I'll just wait til I come across a swiss-cheesed 81 in my future!

The Weaver KV does look right to me though.
Adam
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Sarge756 wrote:A true "vintage" and "completing the rifle as it originally was" is a worthy endeavor and I tend to lean that way when dealing with old guns. The "no mag wheels on my 40 Ford" mentality. I`d advise you to modify it just a little for this effort though. Last year production of the 81 keeps it in the era of scopes with non-centered reticles. With the type scope mount you intend to use I can tell you from experience that it will be an effort in frustration with one of them unless you are extremely lucky. The Perma -Centered reticles were first introduced mid 50`s by Lyman and Weaver soon followed with updated K series scopes. The 60 series B models have the constantly centered reticles and like the the Lyman All Americans of that era will serve you much better than the earlier scopes from either company. It was about this time that coatings on the lens for better light transmission and filling the tubes with inert gas to ward off moisture /fogging issues began to be used.I am assuming that your mount has one inch rings here when suggesting these scopes.
Joe
First let me thank a couple members here for their help in getting my Krieger conversion M81 300 Savage back to the way it must have been years ago. When purchased a few months ago it was already drilled for a scope mount and had a Williams receiver sight mounted on rear of receiver.
Thank you to tjmga62 for hooking me up with the correct vintage Williams side mount and to Sarge756 for his info as to what would be the correct scope. I acquired a Weaver K3-1 scope thru Ebay and have now returned this M81 to what I hope was the original configuration.
Without the resources available here this would have been a much more difficult task.
This old girl will be back in the woods this fall hopefully doing what she was made to do.

Thank you,
Charlie
Attachments
Krieger #2.jpg
Krieger #2.jpg (619.2 KiB) Viewed 7860 times
Krieger #1.jpg
Krieger #1.jpg (636.73 KiB) Viewed 7860 times
81police

Post by 81police »

chas1949, thanks for posting the pictures. You've got the ULTIMATE hunting setup for an 8/81 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Your scope choice sure does look slick on that rifle. Let us know how it shoots!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Very attractive indeed and ready to head to the woods.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."