Can We ID Remington Firearms Engravers?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
xtimberman

Can We ID Remington Firearms Engravers?

Post by xtimberman »

Is there a way to identify the scrolls and styles of the various high-grade Model-8 engravers in the Remington shop?

Most of the Winchester and Colt engravers of the same time period are well-known by name and their distinctive engraving styles can be readily identified by photo comparisons.
Last edited by xtimberman on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1653

Re: Can We ID Remington Firearms Engravers?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey timberman,

That is a great question. I don't recall seeing that question before. Maybe the guys who have had access to the archives at Remington could shed some light on this issue. Maybe 81police could shed some light on this topic.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Great question xtimberman.

I'm by no means an authority on engraved 8's & 81's, much less any other engraved Remington, but I can shed a tad bit of light on the subject.

The 4th Quarter 2008 edition of the RSA (Remington Society) Journal has an article by Gene Myszkowski. Most of the information is about retired and contemporary engravers however. Guys like Bob Runge and Carl Ennis didn't come on board with Remington until the very later days of Model 8 production (or after). I know at least one of the 3-4 known Model 81 F grades was done by Carl Ennis.

As far as early Model 8 engraving though, I just don't know. I tend to believe, just from looking at a handful, that most of your "D" and "E" grades were not signed anyways.

Now, the Creamer family really is the go-to people on the engraved Remingtons, maybe they'll pop in and school us all! :)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
xtimberman

Post by xtimberman »

I hope so!

I would love to be able to put a name to the scrolls on my well-worn Grade 4 example. I didn't expect to...but can't find any hand-engraved sigs or initials anywhere on it.

If you study firearms engraving for just a short while, it becomes easy to ID certain distinctive styles - even on so-called "standard" factory patterns. Each master engraver had his own idea of layout and execution, and the journeymen engravers in his "shop" would mimic their master's style....and their work would be attributed to: "the shop of Cuno Helfricht, Wilbur Glahn, or whomever".