Differences in extractor shapes?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
In The Ten Ring

Differences in extractor shapes?

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Why does my 1906 .35 Remington have a crescent-shaped extractor while my 1911 .35 Remington has a squared-off extractor?

Wouldn't the crescent shape be more effective?
Adam Lee

Re: Differences in extractor shapes?

Post by Adam Lee »

In The Ten Ring wrote:Why does my 1906 .35 Remington have a crescent-shaped extractor while my 1911 .35 Remington has a squared-off extractor?

Wouldn't the crescent shape be more effective?
Not that I know anything about this without looking at my own 1908 .35 Model 8, but I would also expect the extractor to be crescent-shaped in order for it to catch the rim and kick out the case.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

The curved extractor is from the early guns in the small calibers and the square shape us from the .35's and .300's and all the later guns.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Bandersnatch,

Both good and bad......my 1906 in .35 Rem has the curved extractor yet seems to extract just fine. Is the curved extractor just for (and always was for) the small calibers?

Now if the squarded-off extractors are precisely for .35 Rem then that's good, although it seems a curved extractor would be much better for the purpose but what seems to be best isn't always best. *It could have been a cost-saving design change too.

What I am getting at is my 1911 Model won't extract unless I press down on the front of the extractor when hand cycling from the mag. If I just let the bolt fly into battery (feeding from mag) as if I was going to fire, the bolt will not pull the cartridge case from the chamber. I have bought 2 "new" (NOS as advertised) extractors from ebay (could be a member here) and those have the squared-off extractor ends.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Quoting from the Holy Henwood, blessed be his name.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.