Model 81 bolt

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Cwbyers

Model 81 bolt

Post by Cwbyers »

I have a model 81 in 35 rem and the ejector won't grab the brass. I took the bolt carrier out and disassembled it. The bolt has a short spring in it but has no tension. In other words it is too short and does not push the bolt forward. I have another bolt that I installed and the spring has some tension but not enough to push it forward. The new bolt and ejector won't grab the brass either. I recently purchased a bolt carrier assembly for a 300 savage that has 2 springs in it. Do the 35 rem and the 300 savage use the same bolt? thanks for the help.
81police

Re: Model 81 bolt

Post by 81police »

Cwbyers,

Sorry to hear about your issues. First off it's the extractor that holds the rim of the case and pulls it from the chamber, not the ejector. It's the ejector that is under spring tension however. The extractor though has no spring. The extractor is the long, thin piece of metal with a claw at the end that is grooved into the top of the bolt carrier. The springs I think you're referring to are the firing pin springs, because the spring that exerts force on the bolt carrier (to move forward) is the long action spring found inside the stock.

We had a 1908 Model 8 that would grab the brass occasionally, and only eject occasionally. Come to find out, it was a corner of the extractor claw broken off. The ejector was fine.

S & S HuntClub spends a lot more time than I do inside these rifles, hopefully he can chime in with a suggestion or two :D :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Cwbyers

Post by Cwbyers »

Thanks for the response. I should have made it easier on everyone by looking at a schematic and using the right terms for the parts. I have a model 81 in 300 savage that my grandfather bought new in 1949 that I have been using as reference while working on the new one. I can cycle the savage bolt by hand and it will eject cases while the 35 rem leaves the cases in the chamber. Thanks for the help.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I have a Model 8 that isn't extracting unless I push down on the front of the extractor when it goes into battery. I have two NOS extractors on the way.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Cwbyers

Post by Cwbyers »

Just to update anyone curious.. I bought another working bolt, installed it and everything works perfectly. I had a broken spring in the old bolt and will reassemble it when I find a new spring.
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

Congrats on the fix. I will probably just take my non-extracting Model 8 with me to Maine this spring when I go. I will also take the stuck bolt Model 81. I was able to remove the triggerguard (cup tip punch set came, it's the long and short 3mm punches you need from Brownells) from her but still a no-go on getting the bolt to unlock from the breech.