Question on Buying a Model 8 - New Member

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Hyperion

Question on Buying a Model 8 - New Member

Post by Hyperion »

I am a new member who found your group while Googling for Model 8 information. I am requesting your experience and expertise in considering a Model 8 purchase.

I am looking at a Model 8 and want to know if it is worth buying. See attached photos (from the seller - that is the best I have). I can only attach three photos, so I will attach the fourth on a separate post.

I looked at the rifle today. The stock looks good; I saw no cracks. The serial number is 1655, found on the bottom, in front of the magazine. I did not see any serial number across from it as in other photos on this site. The photo of the right side of the frame shows the better side of the blue finish. The highlighted side (left side) is rougher, with a number of rusts spots that are through the blue. The whole rifle has these spots, but the left side of the frame is the worst.The screw in front of the rear sight is buggered up, but appears useable. I cannot tell if the engraving is factory or not (it differs from the photos on this site). The seller says there is no "C' under the forearm. The bore is shiny, with pretty sharp lands, and has multiple small pits throughout the length of the barrel. The rifle needs a thorough cleaning. Caliber is .35 Remington. The seller says he acquired the rifle in a trade years ago, and has never fired it.

I realize you don't have x-rays eyes, and that the photos are weak. I will still ask: What kind of feedback can you give me? What estimate of value (or range of value) would you suggest? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
rem 8 - 03.jpg
rem 8 - 03.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
rem 8 - 02.jpg
rem 8 - 02.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
rem 8 - 01.jpg
rem 8 - 01.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 8815 times
Last edited by Hyperion on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperion

Re: Question on Buying a Model 8 - New Member

Post by Hyperion »

Here is the fourth photo.
Attachments
rem 8 - 04.jpg
rem 8 - 04.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 8814 times
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hyperion,

This is a first year production in 1906. The stock is round knob pistol grip and are hard to find. The safety is the old style which is also hard to find. The wood is checkered but does not appear to be factory checkered but is a very decent checkering. I would guess that there is a script lettering on the barrel shroud indicating the caliber. The condition looks to be very good. Vaue is hard to determine without a hand on examination. I would think this rifle would be in the $700-900 range. What it is worth is not the real question. The question is how bad do you want it and if you want it, then the price is right.

Regards,

jack1653
Hyperion

Post by Hyperion »

Thank you, Jack, for your prompt response. Can you see any indications of a reblue? How much would a reblue affect value? 50%? The seller wants $350. Sounds like I should nab it.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Hyperion,

If the rifle has been reblued that will affect the value as a collector but won't hurt the value as a shooter. It is difficult to tell the quality of the bluing. The asking price that you mentioned seems to be very reasonable. It does have a tang sight which adds value. If the rifle functions the. I would think that you would be getting a good buy. If you pass on it let me know as I would be interested in it.

Regards,

jack1653
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

That's a neat-looking rifle. If I came across that, I'd buy it.

I'd hunt with it too. I only squirrel hunt with an Auto 5 and none of those are new.
Hyperion

Post by Hyperion »

I did buy the rifle. I have taken it apart and am cleaning it; it was absolutely filthy. The rifle is in better shape than I thought it was; it was just gunked up. I didn't remember when I first posted, but it has had a Hawkins recoil pad added to the stock. They did a nice job with it.

I will take pictures and get them posted in the next week or so. Thanks for your input
81police

Post by 81police »

99 times out of 100 when you see a 1st or 2nd year Model 8 with bluing as rich as the one pictured, it's a reblue. It's extremely uncommon to find a 108+ year old rifle that's not had the blue fade from handling. If the blue is original to the gun then it's worth a considerable premium, but often times it's a old reblue that you'll come across. If you can post better close-up pictures of the rifle it might give us a better idea. But listen, either way it's a fine looking rifle...love the checkering!!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I was watching that one. In my grand and glorious opinion it was wildly over priced, but if you are happy with it, enjoy.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Hyperion

Post by Hyperion »

Bandersnatch - Where were you watching this one?
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Looks just like one on GB. If it isn't then it's a clone.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Hyperion

Post by Hyperion »

I did not see one like this on GB. This one is not for sale.